Opera Devs quit after Chinese takeover

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Are there any indicators why the team left? Three of the four posted the information on Twitter. They did not reveal why they are leaving or left Opera Software, only that they did and that they are looking for new job opportunities.

This, and the fact that they have all quit at around the same time, suggests that the decisions have been recent and not planned for a long time.

There was one major change recently, the acquisition of Opera Software's browser and Opera Max by a Chinese consortium.

Bruce Lawson more of less confirms that the acquisition has something to do with him leaving the company in a blog post on his personal blog.

After Opera’s consumer products (browsers and Opera Max) were taken over by a Chinese consortium on 4 November, Opera and I are parting ways by mutual agreement. I’m no longer a representative or spokesman for Opera products, or the Opera brand.

It seems likely that the other team members of Opera's DevRel team based their decision on that as well but this has not been confirmed by the team members leaving or by Opera Software.

PlayerFromTheITtic

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 19, 2014
Hi there!

I heard of this two days ago, it's not a simple matter I guess. It's getting harder to trust this company, since a Chinese consortium wouldn't buy some parts of Opera (browsers and Opera Max) for nothing at all. I guess they may have been doing this so that they can become a major actor in web browsing in Asian market (though it's already quite famous in India), but it may lead to some consequences for European and American people.
This new wave of firing (developers + those four key members) sure is sad to learn though.

But there're also a few things to keep in mind. First, when the initial deal was still being worked on back in February, they made a statement so that people don't freak out:
In the desktop team, we think this is good news. If the deal is realized, Opera for computers will be able to reach more users, faster. We will be able to accelerate our roadmaps, fix more bugs and contribute more code to the web[...] We want to build a browser that reaches more desktops, laptops and people like you. We think web browsers should be made not only for people living on the U.S. west coast, and we would like to see healthy competition for the next billion of users who will be joining us online.

Second, I hope this consortium is aware of the fact that Opera Software have been known for its respectful privacy policy, trying not to take this into account could represent a mistake and make them lose some users.

And third, let's remember that the modern web browsing wouldn't have been the same thanks to Opera, remember they made some obscure, unknown features like tabs, speed dials, proxy (in a web browser), sync, and more recently, they've been the first to add in a major browser things like native adblocking, personalized newsfeed with RSS/ATOM support, battery saver, native browser VPN (free, unlimited, without logs, and the Chinese consortium hasn't been able to buy SurfEasy, the company behind this feature), and on.

Like @Dirk41 just said, I guess we could still use this browser if wished, we'd just need to be careful about its behind-the-scenes behaviour (possible future new flags, network monitoring, announcements, and on).

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
On my personal opinion, i think since the new directive entered the company, they came with a new team and they "force" this developers to leave the project. I don't really understand why they would leave, despite reading what the article has to say.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Just a little background for any interested- In February the Chinese Group (which included Qihoo) put in a bid to buy all of Opera Software for a bit over 1 billion USD. This was not a hostile takeover as the Board of Opera was shopping the company. In July Norway blocked the outright sale of the company but allowed the sale of the browser unit for 600 million USD.

The way things usually work is that the key employees (like those in the article) will get a breakup bonus (private) and as they normally are vested in the stock will also get those gains (Opera stock rose about 50%). I can tell you it's a rare thing when a department head will stay for the transition instead of taking time off and sipping drinks on some tropical island instead.

So don't fell bad for these guys- If they really love what they are doing they'll be able to find dream jobs easily; if they were getting bored anyway they can buy a 1000 acre spread in Norway and raise Reindeer.

W

Wave

Disagree or not, probably they would take care more about privacy
That's what I mean. Maybe the Chinese want to mess something up with privacy, maybe make money somehow off selling data, etc. Probably something really selfish. Why else would they buy Opera?

They could have made their own browser based on Chromium with some work over a few months but instead they chose to buy Opera. The reason why is because it's already used by millions which means if they update it to do something to make money, it'll come into effect... As opposed to getting people to start downloading their brand new browser from a brand new unknown company

So the devs left for a reason for sure, they had a lucky escape I think

Last edited by a moderator:

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
And third, let's remember that the modern web browsing wouldn't have been the same thanks to Opera, remember they made some obscure, unknown features like tabs, speed dials, proxy (in a web browser), sync, and more recently, they've been the first to add in a major browser things like native adblocking, personalized newsfeed with RSS/ATOM support, battery saver, native browser VPN (free, unlimited, without logs, and the Chinese consortium hasn't been able to buy SurfEasy, the company behind this feature), and on.
I agree with you on this. It's actually a shame that such a company is now sold for the money. Innovation was always the keyword at Opera. Most people don't know this but all the 'simple features' that are now in every browser are mostly born at Opera back in the days. You summed up only a few of them to begin with.
But if you hear Jon Von Tetzchner (One of the Opera founders and now CEO of Vivaldi) talking about the situation when he left the company in 2011, it was then already clear that the main idea for Opera was changed. He wanted to keep the innovation part and wanted to make this awesome browser even better, but the others wanted to sell it for the money, so he stepped aside after multiple conficts. Now it's the Chinese who bought it, but there was even interest from Facebook some years ago, but the deal didn't get of the ground.
Since the first Chromium Opera (version 15) in 2013 it was already clear that Opera would never be the same again. Then they decided to throw away the work that has begun in 1992 and stopped in 2013, which is a shame considering how powerful the Presto Opera was.
But even before the Chinese bought Opera, they already fired much people, and made some internal changes. The desktop team moved from Norway to Poland for example, which led to people that lost their job. Some of them started to work at Vivaldi.
As an all-time Opera fan, it's really frustrating seeing slowly collapsing a company with such a big reputation and history. The only thing we can hope is that the Chinese will continue to improve the current Opera browser and build a strong coherent company again, but I doubt that. The big man behind the consortium declared already he impressively want to shrink the amount of employees at Opera. And if you see which companies are in that consortium (Qihoo for example), some of them don't have a really good reputation in terms of privacy.
Those people won't leave their favorite company for nothing, some of them like Bruce worked almost 10 years for Opera and went to conferences all around the globe to promote Opera. Andreas is also on of the main people behind Opera for mobile and the others also were important developers and employees.
Much people and users already were complaining about the route Opera was going with the Chromium switch, so some months later Jon began with Vivaldi to give them a new home, but now this.... Again lot's of people that are unhappy. We don't know exactly why they decided to leave Opera, but it doesn't give me much hope. Now there are no changes yet, because of the deal which is still very fresh, but I doubt it will stay like that. Only the future will tell us. I hope the best for the future of Opera, but I'm almost completely sure this is the start of the slowly extinction of such a great company. In a few years it will probably be completely converted into a Chinese product and company and the name Opera will certainly slowly disappear and the main userbase will be in Asia.
Goodbye Opera :(

Reactions: DardiM and Fritz

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
Opera was bought mainly because of it's advertising part not the browser itself.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.