Opera Expands its VPN Pro Service to Desktop Users

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
We are ready to unveil an exciting upgrade to the Opera VPN that will further enhance your online privacy. Today, we are introducing VPN Pro to the developer version of our desktop browser. VPN Pro, which is a paid device-wide VPN, is at the same time shipping in Opera for Android. Rest assured that the free Opera browser VPN will remain unlimited and available for you to use. The VPN Pro, however, protects your entire device and makes sure your internet traffic remains encrypted and you are safe to use public WiFi and other services without the fear of your data getting stolen.

As of today, the developer version of Opera Browser (89.0.4428.0) offers you a fully integrated VPN solution that protects all of your computer’s internet traffic. If you are running a PC with at least Windows 8, or a Mac with a recent MacOS, you can download the latest Opera Developer now and try it out with a free 7-day trial period.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Device-wide Opera VPN Pro now available in beta version of Opera Browser for desktop
Looking to protect your online data as you swap apps and devices? We have some great news! For all you security-conscious and avid online perusers, we’re happy to report that Opera’s device-wide VPN Pro service is now available in the beta version of the Opera Browser for desktop (version 89 on Windows, Mac and Linux). After the recent launch on Opera Developer, we are ready to unveil a new, upgraded version of VPN Pro on Opera Beta, taking online privacy and security to the next level, without stressing about which device or app you’re using.

Back in the day, Opera became the first major browser to offer a free, unlimited, no-log built-in browser VPN service. This attractive feature accessible to everyone brought many people to Opera Browser, where they discovered a new standard of web browsing, more secure and conscious of your data.

Fast-forward six years later, and our free VPN is still a top choice for those of you wanting to protect your browser traffic. Now however, you can extend protection to your entire device (up to 6 of them actually) no matter which app you use. The new VPN Pro provides a premium device-wide VPN service straight from the browser.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Opera ships the new VPN Pro service to Windows and Mac for an extra level of security as you travel​

Recently we announced the expansion of our security features with the new VPN Pro subscription service, a premium device-wide VPN that can be used without the installation of a separate app. The VPN Pro service, previously available on Android only, is now coming to Opera users on Windows and Mac!

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Internal free vpn is gone?
AFAIK that should be still available, according to Opera blog post (quotes and link below), maybe @upnorth knows more details 🤔

Thankfully Opera Browser, known for its free browser VPN (still available), ...

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
AFAIK that should be still available, according to Opera blog post (quotes and link below), maybe @upnorth knows more details 🤔
Wish I did, but since I rarely use Operas own free VPN option I'm not sure if that now been changed in anyway after this latest added full fledge paid VPN service.

I do see it's still available as an option in the settings. If I get some time over I'll do a quick test unless someone else does it before.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Did a basic test both with the stable version for desktop and mobile.

The free " VPN " still exist and works, but it's a bit weird with the mobile ( only works in private tabs/mode ). Btw, this is not the real VPN that's being offered as a paid service, but does the very basic and yes sometimes hide ones IP, and other times it don't. Personal I wouldn't recommend it other then for pure testing.

It got so called 4 regions to pick from and I only tested the default " Optimal " and the European. I didn't search on exactly where the servers are located and also no speed tests.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.