Battle Opera Mail vs Thunderbird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Web email is much more secure then using an email client.
You can use several different web based emails and import your other email accounts. Like Gmail, Outllook, Yahoo, etc. they will scan attachments before you download to your hard drive, spam emails are not opened unless you open them, with email clients they download everything directly to your hard drive including infected attachments and spam. Then the filters will delete the content.

Gmail allows you to open attachments in Google Documents cloud instead of having to download them to your hard drive.

I stopped using email clients a very long time ago.

Thanks.:D

Reactions: OokamiCreed

Robert Chadwick

Jun 25, 2015
You're kidding, right?

How on earth could webmail be more secure? If client mail is set up properly, everything is always, automatically encrypted. With webmail, if you 'accidentally' get rerouted to the non-encrypted site, your whole email life is a wide open book to even the lowest-wrung hackers.

Also, unless if your computer is a mess of spyware (In which case, nothing is secure, no matter what), your personal information is more securely stored and archived on your own computer, than the 'cloud', where nobody actually knows where your data is, or who has access to it.

Also, unless if you forward all your email to a single account (spreading each email across multiple servers, in multiple locations, from multiple companies, with the number of eyes who can see your email multiplied), handling multiple email addresses is a pain.

I have about 20 various email addresses, as well as my own email server. I could install a webmail server, but it wouldn't be as quick, convenient, or secure as just using a client.

I can also read and compose email when I don't have an Internet connection. Try THAT with webmail.

Maybe for the average user, and especially those who don't know what an IMAP or POP is, webmail is great. However, for powerusers, and those knowledgeable enough to know what's more secure, clients are the way to go.

I stopped using webmail a long time ago.

Web email is much more secure then using an email client.
You can use several different web based emails and import your other email accounts. Like Gmail, Outllook, Yahoo, etc. they will scan attachments before you download to your hard drive, spam emails are not opened unless you open them, with email clients they download everything directly to your hard drive including infected attachments and spam. Then the filters will delete the content.

Gmail allows you to open attachments in Google Documents cloud instead of having to download them to your hard drive.

I stopped using email clients a very long time ago.

Thanks.:D

Reactions: Malware1
S

SkyJP

I think Thunderbird is the better option simply due to the large user Base and support.

I do, however, use the Gmail service but I actually read and send emails using full blown Outlook 2013 (more versatility) which I can use to connect with other Microsoft Office software or services.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I personally use Opera Mail and like it much more than Thunderbird. Cleaner looking, faster, and light. As for security of a client vs web... that what an AV is for. Most have some type of module to scan emails and remove attachments/emails when infected. Viewing emails online is undeniably safer. Espeically if you can view it's contents online vs downloading them as @Littlebits mentioned.

If you get something that isn't viewable online (unless it's like a key from an AV or something - I know Avast does this), then you shouldn't just go and open it unless you were expecting it.

Reactions: Oxygen

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I've tried them both, but I prefer Opera Mail. The interface and the usability are better in my opinion, but on the other hand, i'm not sure if Opera is still developing the program since it was removed from the browser and became a standalone program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.