Opera malware Your browser is locked - Persistent!

Stephen

Thread author
Verified
Jan 9, 2014
Its going well. I have not had the malware back even though I have reinstalled Opera. I am still a bit confused about where the malware was and why neither my virus protection nor my Malware protection was able to discover it. The reason I have Malwarebyte's Malware Pro on my pc now is that I had a similar problem before and the free copy of Malware I downloaded to combat it was able to find and delete the offending files. I figured that since I was infected before I might again, so why not buy a full version of Malware Pro. I run Malware Pro usually weekly and it does find problem areas and allows me to delete them. In my researching of the problem I recently had though, I downloaded a different Malware software, demo version and it located 23 separate files it said were problematic. The software would only clean 2 files and I would have to buy the software to eliminate the others. It did list where the offending files were and when I went to the files and had both my virus protection and Malware Pro scan the files, both programs reported no problem. It's hard to determine which software manufacturer is pulling my leg. I am saving the programs you used to clean up my recent problem and will be doing some online research to try to figure out just how they operate and maybe why the recent malware was undetected by Malware Pro.

Be that is it may. I am very grateful for your help, patience, and skill in helping me through resolving the issue. Thank you very much for all your help.

Stephen

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
This particular infection has come from some insecure website. When you visit an unsafe website, a message pops up and tells you to first download a newer version of Flash player to play the video or to view this website. You might get inclined to click on the pop up for the reason that it's telling you to install a newer version of flash player, Please do not do this. It's a virus.

Sometimes it may be in the form of “install drivers (or) plug-in's (or) active X controls etc”. If we click on these pop ups (knowingly or unknowingly), it will automatically install a malicious spy ware on your computer.

These pop-ups may contain multiple options like Save, Run, Cancel, Yes, No etc. If we click on any of these options it will automatically install this spy ware. The best solution to avoid this spy ware is to close the browser window like internet explorer, fire fox etc.

We should be aware of this situation and never download an Adobe Flash Player through any source other than the Adobe.com website. If you are ever uncertain of a Flash Player Update it may be best to cancel the operation and navigate to http://www.adobe.com and download the update.

Stephen

Thread author
Verified
Jan 9, 2014
I am still, in my own mind, trying to figure out how I got the original Browser lock malware. I do not ever install on a prompt I receive while browsing various sites. However, there are times that I end up on a page I do not want to be on and find that if I hit the back arrow on the browser or try to close the tab itself, a popup comes on asking if I really want to leave the page I opened and now wish to leave. Does saying Yes, I confirm I wish to leave the page constitute a way for spy ware to be installed? In order to get away from the page popup I would have to use the Task Manager to close the browser in that case without availing a spy ware to be loaded.

(PS - I was, and presently am, a bit hesitant to continue this interactive conversation as I do not wish to burden your available time. Please let me know the etiquette on this now that the original problem is well solved by you.)

Thank you again for your help.

Stephen

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
Hi ,
If you are getting any such pop up or prompts the better and safe way to exit from that one is using Task Manager. After that clear all of the Temp files on your computer.

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
STEP 1: Run a scan with Junkware Removal Tool

Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop from here
  • Turn off your antivirus software now to avoid potential conflicts
  • Double-click to run the tool. For Windows Vista or 7 users, right-click the file and select Run as Administrator
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) will be saved to your desktop and will automatically open
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next reply

Stephen

Thread author
Verified
Jan 9, 2014
Done.

I noticed that JRT removed the YTD Downloader program from my PC. Is there a reason why some one should not have the YTD Downloader on their PC?

Attachments

• JRT.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 109

Stephen

Thread author
Verified
Jan 9, 2014
OK. I will download a fresh copy from the official site and then run JRT again to see what it thinks about the fresh copy. I'll let you know what it does.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.