Operating System Drivers

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Recently I checked my laptop manufacturers site for my OS drivers & almost all the drivers are listed as of 2014/2015. So I thought new drivers for my system. But when I checked the versions of the drivers on the site with my system. They seems to be the same with little differences. So dont know if they are new or not & should I install them or not?

Version numbers are same on the site & system.
The difference is on the site almost all drivers at the end of the version numbers have Rev, Rev A, Rev B, etc...

So are they new & should I install them?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
At all matters you may not update them as long it works flawlessly, if there's an issue then that's the first step.

Generally it will not improve performance rather than minimal bug fixes which you may not notice on the system.

But again no harm to install if you are curious about the new version, you may check that specific version from Device Manager.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I will check the website again to see any details of improvements/fixes with the new drivers.

Reactions: Logethica

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I checked my laptop manufacturers site for my OS drivers

It would be helpful to know what brand you are using. Thanks.

For example: A BIOS update on MSI website - "If a notebook is equipped with version E1763IMS.300, then please download version E1763IMS.3XX. Users should be aware that using incorrect BIOS version can result in a bricked system."

Are you looking to update BIOS, Firmware, or Hardware-specific drivers?

Reactions: LabZero
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I was just checking if any new updated drivers are available.

HP Pavilion DV4T-1400

Reactions: Logethica
L

LabZero

Thread author
Although update drivers may solve problems of performance and safety, actually is an operation that involves risks for the stability of the operating system.

A possible incompatibility of drivers just updated with the operating system can take you to the loss of some functionality of the computer (such as Internet connection, or the malfunctioning USB port) or others problems.

In summary,balancing pros and cons and whereas today the drivers are definitely much more compatible with the operating system and among them, I tell you that it is almost never necessary to update drivers, if not in some cases (OS upgrade)

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" ;)

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Although update drivers may solve problems of performance and safety, actually is an operation that involves risks for the stability of the operating system.

A possible incompatibility of drivers just updated with the operating system can take you to the loss of some functionality of the computer (such as Internet connection, or the malfunctioning USB port) or others problems.

In summary,balancing pros and cons and whereas today the drivers are definitely much more compatible with the operating system and among them, I tell you that it is almost never necessary to update drivers, if not in some cases (OS upgrade)

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" ;)
But drivers update would be safe from manufacturer as they would be tested with the specific model.
I update drivers only when there is updated drivers from manufacturer i.e My system is HP & I check HP website for my model no. for drivers.
But yes, manufacturer dont updates drivers mostly. I updated BIOS & 2-3 drivers 4-5 years back & since then no new drivers updates.

L

LabZero

Thread author
But drivers update would be safe from manufacturer as they would be tested with the specific model.
I update drivers only when there is updated drivers from manufacturer i.e My system is HP & I check HP website for my model no. for drivers.
But yes, manufacturer dont updates drivers mostly. I updated BIOS & 2-3 drivers 4-5 years back & since then no new drivers updates.
Minor updates do not carry advantages but only minor improvements (not apparent)
While an important update of course should be done but means that the previous version was giving problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.