Opinions Hitmanpro Alert 2.5 or CryptoPrevent or both ?

NZRADAR

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 8, 2013
Hi there , I'm just wondering what people think of these Hitmanpro Alert 2.5.6 or CryptoPrevent.
Can you use both ?
I know that CryptoPrevent adds some rules into registry like Group Policy Editor can do even if you have only Windows Home Premium. I understand its not some memory resident program.

The Latest Beta of Hitman Pro alert claims protection for multiple areas as the capture shows snip1.JPG snip2.JPG

I'm using HitmanPro Alert and wonder if adding CrytoPrevent is doubling up on unnecessary protection.

Your thoughts appreciated
NZRADAR

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
The beta version of Hitman Pro Alert comes with "CryptoGuard".This provides the same protection from Crypto Locker malware (ransomware) as CryptoPrevent.

Hitman Pro Alert 2 is a free tool that checks your browsers integrity and alerts users when secure online banking and shopping is no longer guaranteed.

If you use Hitman Pro Alert (2.5 Beta) with CryptoGaurd then there is no need to use CryptoPrevent also.You are getting the benefits of
Hitman Pro Alert 2 and also Crypto Locker prevention.However remember that Hitman Pro Alert 2.5 is a beta program.

Both of these programs can run along side your Antivirus software.

Reactions: NZRADAR

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Neither product can offer you 100% protection from all variants of Cryptolocker since malware will change to avoid detection methods.
CryptoLocker requires Admin rights in order to be successful, so running your system on a Limited User account will probably offer better protection than what any security product can offer.

Read more about CryptoLocker.

Your online actions when downloading and running files will offer you better protection that what any product can offer you.
Always keep a backup of your files just in case.

Things to think about:

1. Cryptolocker does not automatically download and execute itself, it requires you to manually download and execute.
2. Cryptolocker can be easily removed but your files will still be encrypted.
3. Cryptolocker is only available for download on suspicious websites, executable email attachments and fake alert sites. If you only download files from trusted sites like Softpedia, MajorGeeks, SnapFiles, FileHippo, DownloadCrew, etc., you will never be exposed to Cryptolocker.
4. Cryptolocker is commonly in zip format and disguised as a document file like .doc or .pdf with the extension of ".exe" at the end.
Example: "important.pdf.exe"
5. If you have accidentally downloaded the file, you can simply delete it to avoid infection as long as you did not execute it.

If you just educate yourself, don't download the infected file and always keep your files backed up then you shouldn't require any extra security products to protect you.

If Cryptolocker continues to evolve, no security products will be able to keep you protected especially if you are a reckless user.

Thanks. :D

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
I am using both Hitman Pro Alert 2.5 and CrytoPrevent. I've had no conflict with the 2 thus far.

Reactions: NZRADAR

NZRADAR

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 8, 2013
Thanks guys for your thoughts, I think I will turn UAC to highest and keep updated with Hitman Pro Alert and stay informed & educated.
I know windows hide the extension of known file types. I am changing that to show extensions.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Hopefully with future Windows it will show known file extensions by default, why Microsoft hides known file extensions is beyond me.
All users should change their folder options to show known file extensions that way they can see ".exe" files and know that they are not a common document file and then they should use caution before running them.

UAC on highest setting will block Cryptoloacker but will make UAC more annoying. Some users may not deal with the extra prompts.
Users that always pay attention when downloading and running files can get by just fine with UAC on default setting.

No security product can be successful at blocking all variants of Cryptolocker, so I wouldn't trust any of them to protect you and also to mention extra security products will eat up system resources and could block legitimate programs.
If you are not sure then just don't download or open any suspicious files and always keep your files backed up at least weekly.

Enjoy!! :D

NZRADAR

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 8, 2013
Since I've joined Malweretips I've gone from my turn off UAC mentality to UAC defaults and now max and to be honest I'm glad for the change and it really isn't a problem paying attention to these prompts. I'm trying to keep things light on my Q660 quad core as I enjoy gaming and 3D art. I leave the heavy wrestling matchs to the Virtual machine when I want to dive into some testing and when I do that I turn on Malwarebytes realtime protection on the host.

If all it takes is one wrong click to get infected, what is one more reminder from User Account control to alert you of impending changes.

Thanks again

Reactions: Littlebits

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.