JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
1. PC won't shut down, goes into Power save mode. 2. DVD's won't play, won't read them.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
I tried drivers, and updating things... I ran windows update.. and chkdsk /f and many things but still the Power save, and DVD issues remain.
Hi all, been spending time, trying to work on the new PC here, it sure is FAST but that doesn't do me much good if it is really buggy right now. Really unexpected type issues.... which don't make sense.

Could be a Windows 10 issue? but regardless I really need DVD to write, read and play, burn or export data. It will play a music CD just fine, but wont even read a DVD (Nero info tool says its unsupported). It does says DVD RW on the hardware itself. I ran a test also here seems to approve the hardware, Device Settings say its functioning properly.
ok 2.jpg

NERO info tool
Nero InfoTool 8.0.1.100
Drive Information
------------------
Drive : TSSTcorp DVD-RW SH-216AB
Type : DVD±R/RW DL Recorder
Firmware Version : LE03
Buffer Size : 1536 KB
Vendor Specific : 0923
Drive Letter : I:\
Mechanism : Tray
Read Speed : 16 X
Write Speed : n/a
Read CD Text : Yes
Return C2 Pointers : Yes
Read CD-R : Yes
Read CD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-ROM : Yes
Read DVD-RAM : Yes
Read DVD-R : Yes
Read DVD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-R DL : Yes
Read DVD+R : Yes
Read DVD+RW : Yes
Read DVD+R DL : Yes
Read BD-ROM : No
Read BD-R : No
Read BD-RE : No
Read HD DVD-ROM : No
Read HD DVD-R : No
Read HD DVD-R DL : No
Read HD DVD-RAM : No
Read HD DVD-RW : No
Read HD DVD-RW DL : No
Read HD-BURN : No
Read Digital Audio : Yes
Read CD+G : Yes
Read VideoCD : Yes
Write CD-R : Yes
Write CD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R : Yes
Write DVD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R DL : Yes
Write DVD+R : Yes
Write DVD+RW : Yes
Write DVD+R DL : Yes
Write DVD-RAM : No
Write DVD-RAM : Yes
Write BD-R : No
Write BD-RE : No
Write HD DVD-R : No
Write HD DVD-R DL : No
Write HD DVD-RAM : No
Write HD DVD-RW : No
Write HD DVD-RW DL : No
Write HD-BURN-R : No
Write HD-BURN-RW : No
tests.jpg

I backed up the PC on an IMAGE on a Sandisk USB thumb drive. So now I can make mistakes if need to try things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cortex
Solution
FIXED!
it WAS a wonky drive and not Windows 10 issue at all. I had a feeling it was half broken, so I just took a chance at replacing the optical drive today. Now the drive is the EXACT same, no new driver needed.

I used these Lenovo tutorials to replace my old Lenovo PC's optical into my new Lenovo, hence the same optical drive Samsung #216AB :)

My new Tower Lenovo E-30 Thinkstation (Very heavy parts) its like a car, compared to ThinkCentre M71 tower is lightweight box.

It was an easy swap the drives out from both these PC's, YouTube is great for quick learning.

Ah, glad that's taken care of. :love: (y)

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Hullo Jake,
Many years ago i actually came across kind of the same problem that you are facing with dvd-rw drives. In my case, solution was to update my dvd-rw drive firmware. It worked for me. Many ppl does not know, that you can actually update your dvd drive firmware too. Especially older PC's with first/second generation dvd-rw drives.

Check This out.

Kind regards,
-sepik

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Is there a drive letter mismatch? Is there such a thing?

This OLD repair disc I have plays the data FILES right up quickly...
fine.jpg

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Hello,
If Nero says that's "unsupported disc type", what kind of a media you put in? :)
Try blank DVD(or CD) -R/+R.
I tried both blank and data discs same response from drive. Do you think its the drive itself, or something in registry or driver mistake...?

I put in Music CD to get the readouts from the tool.

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Hello,
Can you try another software, like CDBurnerXP: Free CD and DVD burning software
Can you "burn" data to a blank disc?
If you have game cd/dvd, can you browse the files via explorer?
If you can listen an audio cd, then, i think the problem is somewhere else rather than the drive itself.

Kind regards,
-sepik
Hi again,

will give it a try... I'll be back afterward.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Drives don't last forever & it's more difficult to read a DVD than CD, even more so some re-writables - The laser optic can get dusty or a film on it etc - if nothing else works you can use a cleaning disc, which attempts to clean the optic - I've never really had the problem you have, I would double check the SATA cable to it & replace it if you can, otherwise replace the drive? Around $20 from Amazon for example, assuming it's a desk PC?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Drives don't last forever & it's more difficult to read a DVD than CD, even more so some re-writables - The laser optic can get dusty or a film on it etc - if nothing else works you can use a cleaning disc, which attempts to clean the optic - I've never really had the problem you have, I would double check the SATA cable to it & replace it if you can, otherwise replace the drive? Around $20 from Amazon for example, assuming it's a desk PC?
I have a few I can try from a couple older PCs I own. Was more of a mystery wanting to be solved then a real problem, which I should get started on being able to shut down this PC... without a save mode getting in the way.

Other then these things, everything has installed without a hitch, including the fast and effective sound drivers/audio manager.
audio.jpg

Upvote 0

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
FIXED!
it WAS a wonky drive and not Windows 10 issue at all. I had a feeling it was half broken, so I just took a chance at replacing the optical drive today. Now the drive is the EXACT same, no new driver needed.

I used these Lenovo tutorials to replace my old Lenovo PC's optical into my new Lenovo, hence the same optical drive Samsung #216AB :)

My new Tower Lenovo E-30 Thinkstation (Very heavy parts) its like a car, compared to ThinkCentre M71 tower is lightweight box.

It was an easy swap the drives out from both these PC's, YouTube is great for quick learning.

Ah, glad that's taken care of. :love: (y)

Upvote 0
Solution

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.