Advice Request Optimize Windows 7 SP1 Poor Boot and Shutdown Performance

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
According to Microsoft, a high-performance desktop running Windows 7 should boot in as little as 10 seconds, if the machine is properly optimized.

The software giant considers a computer with the following hardware configuration: Dual-core 2.8-gigahertz (GHz) CPU, 10,000-RPM disk, and 3-gigabyte (GB) memory, a high performance PC.

Obviously, the vast majority of end users have never seen a Windows 7 computer boot in as little as 10 seconds, and some might not even believe that it’s possible.

The Redmond company says that not only can Windows on/off transition performance can be improved, but even released a resource designed to provide guidance.

The Windows On/Off Transition Performance Analysis is available for download free of charge, covering Windows 7 RTM and SP1 as well as Windows Vista.

Microsoft notes that the guide is tailored to original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), independent software vendors (ISVs), independent hardware vendors (IHVs), and systems analysts.

Read more

Seems like Microsoft won't let Unbutu or ChromeOS have any advantage over their Windows OS. ;)
What's to be expected in the future releases of Windows .. more speed.
To be fair I don't mind waiting for a minute or two while the computer is booting but I also wouldn't mind to see it up and running in 10 seconds.:D

D Bone

May 28, 2011
After I installed SP1 on my two x64 W7 Home Premium machines, they both take longer to shut down. After the shut down button is hit, the screen dims and sort of freezes for a few seconds and then proceeds to shut down. Neither did this before SP1.

marsellus

May 24, 2011
Wow 10 second, this would be a very good result- probably unattainable :p
My start in a 35-40 second:D

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
D Bone said:
After I installed SP1 on my two x64 W7 Home Premium machines, they both take longer to shut down. After the shut down button is hit, the screen dims and sort of freezes for a few seconds and then proceeds to shut down. Neither did this before SP1.
D Bone you can try Microsoft to follow " How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7" and see if you manage to fix the problem.

-----
It takes 1 minute and 30 seconds to start my pc but like I've said .. I really don't mind.. I could improve with -10/20 seconds the loading time but I've got better things to do. :)
A 10 seconds booting time would be perfect!:D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
That's great for WIn7 users it will optimized less than a seconds.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I never notice how long it takes these days. :)

I normally (since using Windows 7) put my computer to sleep and since it's a laptop I have battery power to safely shutdown, if there is no power.

TKFlight

May 19, 2011
Good to see Micro$oft taking some initiative about this. Well we shouldn't compare Ubuntu and/or Chrome OS boot speeds to Windows. Because of the fact that Windows has a way bigger foot print than both of those Operating systems combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.