Troubleshoot Oracle VM VirtualBox Sluggish Guest Performance

M

MalwareT

Thread author
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Above ^
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Defragging, maintaining etc.
I have this annoying issue with Virtualbox.Guest performance is slow even though i have powerful laptop, but guest with same specs is much faster in VMware.Laptop specs are:

Intel Celeron N2820 2.13 (up to 2.39)
4GB RAM DDR3
Windows 8.1 Pro N x64
500GB HDD
Intel HD Graphics 2GB

I have Guest Additions, tried tweaks and optimizations, but issue still persists, but in VMware works great.

60 GB HDD (.vmdk)
1.5 GB RAM
Single Core.

Thanks for any help.

midzan21

Level 1
Verified
Mar 8, 2015
Well I know that problem too... Eventrough i used ubuntu as guest with all aditions which are installed right after ubuntu, and still it is way slower then VMWare Player which behaves a little bit faster on machine which is pretty simmilar to yours

i3-2100 @ 3.1GHz
8GB RAM DDR3
Windows 8.1 and now Windows 10 x64
500GB HDD
Nvidia 630GT 1GB

As VM I seted it up at
CPU 2 threads
RAM 4.5GB
HDD 180GB

for both software, and on VMWare it was faster on opening apps (especialy new tab in terminal while in one tab is compiling CM11 and in other I'm editing some files which needs to be fixed)

Reactions: MalwareT
Upvote 0

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
Mine is behaving sluggish too. It loads Linux way to slow. Maybe is VB just this slow?

Intel i5-4580 @ 2.5 GHz
8 GB RAM 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OS-X 10.10 (But using VB Linux Ubuntu most of the time)
256 GB PCIe Flash Storage
Intel Iris Graphics 5100 1.536 GB

The VM is allowed to use 5 GB RAM, 2 threads, and 125 GB of storage.

This computer is pretty snappy most of the time, but unusually laggy when running VirtualBox. Since I test out a lot of stuff for Android and Linux, this is a pretty serious problem.

Upvote 0
M

MalwareT

Thread author
Yup, very slow. I use VMware now and performance is waay better than VirtualBox, that's serious issue.

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Sometimes the optimization of virtual machine can have a bit slowdowns no matter how high the specification, just make sure avoid lots of multi tasking if planning to open VM.

As we know cores and RAM are the main basis of their resource gather.

Upvote 0

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
Have to agree about VB problems. Half the time it's so slow it's unusable. I usually allocate 1.5GB of RAM, out of 4GB. And the Shared Folder isn't showing up. I'd like to find an alternative, but VMWare Free is too limited.

Upvote 0

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
For the record, I've switched to VMWare Player. It actually works. I have LinuxMint-Mate on it now, performing great except for the sound, but I trust I can resolve that. And there are fairly simple ways around Player's limitations.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.