Status
Not open for further replies.

orphyone

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2017
Wow, that's a nice home lab you have there. :cool:

Just curious, do you need to pay for subscription for your Cisco Firepower?

Thanks! I actually got company to give me a Cisco 5506-x (replacement for the 5505) ASA with Firepower+AMP for home use/lab work but yes I pay yearly through company for SMARTnet. That is why I dual Firewall with open-source pfsense and SNORT (which Firepower is basically SNORT anyway). :)

I love to compare them as well and so far... Firepower (formally Sourcefire) is just like a harder to use version of Pfsense/SNORT OOB. AMP on the other hand is freaking awesome! Love me some Talos!

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Very nice setup. I would remember to use a VPN while testing malware samples, but I'm pretty sure you are aware of that :)

Reactions: orphyone

orphyone

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2017
Your config reminds me of something like a space shield ;)
Seriously, nice setup you got there, thanks for sharing :)

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you! :) lol, I know it looks like overkill but I do a lot of Security work professionally and for fun so safety first!

Very nice setup. I would remember to use a VPN while testing malware samples, but I'm pretty sure you are aware of that :)

Hehe.
I used PIA for general internet, another VPN for other items, Cisco AnyConnect for work and I block Tor_Exit Nodes at my Gateway using Firepower ThreatGrid along with known Malware IP's, Botnets, CnC and of course first thing I do is country block Russia, China and a few Skiddie playgrounds. :)

Is that Sophos Home or another product?

Sophos Enterprise, our contract lets us have a home office use license called Standalone. The new Sophos Home Beta is garbage!

Probably won't be getting any of those for myself, too high a cost for me.

Guess a pfSense would be sufficient for me. :(

Pfsense is literally much simpler as you don't need a CnC Console like I have to have for Firepower running in VMWare ESXi (you can use ASA's built in ASDM to manage but it uses freaking JAVA!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
I think with that firewall and snort u don't even need vs or Sophos as real-time protection.
i tried to install snort but it's hard for me couldn't do it lol

Reactions: orphyone

orphyone

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2017
I think with that firewall and snort u don't even need vs or Sophos as real-time protection.
i tried to install snort but it's hard for me couldn't do it lol

Older pfSense was a little tricky but it's pretty great now as you just enable the SNORT plug in and get yourself an Oink Code.

After that it's filtering false positives and your golden. It was very daunting when I first started out for sure!

Reactions: Sunshine-boy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.