Not open for further replies.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I used Vista and liked it somehwhat, although it looked cluttered, on desktop menus. Never tried Linux though, but it looks pretty good for the basic use of internet access.

I'm wondering what would be your choice in OS... Linux over Vista?

I encoraged my brother to give Linux Mint a try over Vista Home on his new laptop and he saved some $ in doing so. He's picked out a nice Gateway notebook with Linux pre-installed. So I'll find out what its like soon by seeing him boot it.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
It's really ungrateful to compare entire OS family to one Windows OS.
Linux_Distribution_Timeline_1.png
My opinion : There would be absolutely no reason to choose to have Windows Vista today...in any scenario

S

Sr. Normal

Everything depends on what you want to do.

Faster, you will work with Linux, and you can enjoy Chrome, Firefox , Thunderbird , VLC , LibreOffice ... to give some examples .

If you use a distro * ubuntu LTS five years are to be maintained . Another interesting option are rolling release distro , ie no "expiration date " will always be maintained.

The main problem comes when the games. Yes, you're Wine , PlayOnLinux , but do not quite work right. Steam (an others). increasingly brings more titles , but still a big difference between Windows and Linux in this regard.

I have a good computer , i5 , 8GBs RAM 1TB HD. However , 90 % of income I have is in linux . Return to windows when i want to play , and for me to play is " quarrel " with an AV or firewall, registry cleaners ... these things do not exist in linux . Well . Firewall yes there is , but it is configured so easy ... is not a " quarrel ".

With Vista I have had a bad experience, or did not get along with my hardware or do not know what happened. With linux has always gone well .

The best thing is to make a Dual -Boot , have a system does not require delete to another , you can enjoy both, "specialize them " and enjoy both

Last edited by a moderator:

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
It's really ungrateful to compare entire OS family to one Windows OS.

My opinion : There would be absolutely no reason to choose to have Windows Vista today...in any scenario

Opinions welcomed... thanks,
It's not really a true comparison of the two OS's but rather what users here "prefer" to use more, not what is better of the two. If someone wants to say one is clearly better overall, thats ok..., if explained :)

Asking these War Room questions is a good way to learn the pros and cons, even if maybe an uneven question,... all the better to be answered from someone wiser on the subject then I. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Everything depends on what you want to do.

Faster, you will work with Linux, and you can enjoy Chrome, Firefox , Thunderbird , VLC , LibreOffice ... to give some examples .

The best thing is to make a Dual -Boot , have a system does not require delete to another , you can enjoy both, "specialize them " and enjoy both

Great response :) ... I was not aware Libre Office or Chrome work on Linux. A dual boot is also a good idea.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
'Dual booting' linux lubuntu beside Windows XP SP 3 (before & after XP's expiration date) saved our older Dell Tower from becoming our latest garage decoration!:D The ideas and encouragements from staff and members here are operative reasons we've continued to have an extra (3rd) computer that's been given a second lease for life on (2) separate partitions! This began when @BoraMurdar suggested lubuntu (we chose 14.04 LTS, long term service) for our Pentium with 1 GB RAM. With a little more RAM, we might even move up to ubuntu mate (a favorite we've tested with Virtual Box upon our newer Windows 8.1).

Update: I'll just add that it can be an unexpected treat having another, 2nd OS/distro to switch to; and is very satisfying like having a completely different reliable car to drive instead!:):)

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well in performance you should have enough resources to optimize Windows Vista due to Aero and other acceleration graphics, optional to make it classic style at anytime.

But you can do anything in Windows at all and for Linux, you should adjust a little bit on not just the environment but things to work on; you can still use Windows-based Application on Wine Emulator or PlayOnLinux but expect some limitations.

Any Linux Derivatives may do like Ubuntu itself or KDE family as long you were comfortable at.

However Windows 7 and 8/8.1 are far to be so good to upgrade since Vista is like a rush development of OS that most audience doesn't like the presence of result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.