Troubleshoot OS X Vsearch-like Trojan and Ad Issues

Olivia Franco

Thread author
May 3, 2016
Hi everyone!

I am a 25-year-old at a low-intermediate tech-savvy level, however I am new to Mac. I have had my Macbook Pro for about three years now with no problems whatsoever. I obtained a virus 04/30/16 by accessing a video streaming website for 5-10 seconds. Now I seem to have a trojan like virus that adapts quickly and affects my Google Chrome and Safari browser searching. As indicated in my summary, I am having many ads overrun my screen and I cannot remove them. I don't have and extensions downloaded to any browsers except ones that I know (Skype, GoogleDocs, etc.) and I only use this laptop for internet searching and school research projects. I occasionally use this laptop for my Amazon account and was attempting to compare pricing for a TV show. Instead I accessed a video streaming site, obtained this virus and uninstalled two programs it downloaded to my computer right away. Still having tabs open with junk ads anytime I click a search box or link. Needless to say, I had to post this from another device. I appreciate any advice or help.

A

Alkajak

If possible on another device, download Malwarebytes.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac

Transfer and install the dmg file.
Scan.

(Reset Chrome)
  • Disable wifi and open Chrome.
  • Settings > Reset Settings.

(Hard-Reset Safari)
  • Backup your Safari bookmarks.
  • Open Safari.
  • Preferences > Advanced > Enable Develop Menu > Empty Caches.
  • History > Clear history/cookies.
  • Disable all extensions.
  • Exit Safari.
  • Open Finder.
  • Navigate to User/Home folder.
  • Go to View Options / Press Command+J.
  • Check "Show Library Folder".
  • Trash Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Caches.db.

Re-enable wifi and see how things went.

Install an AV once you're cleaned up. http://www.avira.com/en/free-antivirus-mac

Avast AV (Free) is another good one, but slows down my MBP quite a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LabZero and Jrs30
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.