Software Review Osprey Browser Protection Reviews

Reviews reflect the reviewer's setup and methods. Check the evidence and limitations.
Thread details
Content created by
Shadowra
@Foulest I have a suggestion. It seems that whenever the Osprey extension is updated, every provider is checked. I only use a few of them, so it would be nice to have the option to just keep the existing selection, so I don't have to go through and unselect every one that I don't use again.
I didn't know about this issue, and I personally haven't been affected by it. I'll look into it.
 
Yes, I tried setting the extension folder in the browser profile to read-only to update it, but it didn't work. I liked it better when I had BD and Symantec, but what can you do? We have to accept it as it is.

GDATA's web filtering is equivalent to Bitdefender's.

Quick test on ConnectWise :)

Capture d’écran 2025-06-25 230144.png Capture d’écran 2025-06-25 230243.png
 
I've got the new update. Nothing got reset, which is good. But I would like a way to stop new additions being enabled by default. I only use three providers and don't want to use anything else, as I find most providers to be too aggressive at blocking websites.
Unfortunately, that won't happen. New providers, especially official partners, will be enabled by default, unless concerns come up regarding false positives.
 
Unfortunately, that won't happen. New providers, especially official partners, will be enabled by default, unless concerns come up regarding false positives.
That's a shame, as many providers block websites I want to visit. I only want malicious websites blocked and not websites containing unwanted software.
 
What provides block websites you want to visit? Any names of sites? Feedback is appreciated.
The following all block some websites.
CERT-EE
CleanBrowsing Security DNS
Control D Security DNS
Norton Safe Web
AdGuard Security
alphaMountain
DNS4EU Security
G DATA Web Protection

CERT-EE, CleanBrowsing and Control D, block the most. All of the websites blocked contain downloads that are PUPs, but none contain malware. An example of a website that is blocked is driver-soft.com. By limiting the providers used, I can reduce the websites blocked, to pretty much zero. That is why I would like the option for new providers not to be enabled by default.
 
The following all block some websites.
CERT-EE
CleanBrowsing Security DNS
Control D Security DNS
Norton Safe Web
AdGuard Security
alphaMountain
DNS4EU Security
G DATA Web Protection

CERT-EE, CleanBrowsing and Control D, block the most. All of the websites blocked contain downloads that are PUPs, but none contain malware. An example of a website that is blocked is driver-soft.com. By limiting the providers used, I can reduce the websites blocked, to pretty much zero. That is why I would like the option for new providers not to be enabled by default.
I don't think it's unreasonable to block websites that contain PUP downloads, I always treat PUPs as malware. 99% of this software you actually don't need. Driver updaters, registry optimizers and system cleaners are all redundant. Windows can take care of all that itself. Some third-party tools can cause more damage than good.
 
I don't think it's unreasonable to block websites that contain PUP downloads, I always treat PUPs as malware. 99% of this software you actually don't need. Driver updaters, registry optimizers and system cleaners are all redundant. Windows can take care of all that itself. Some third-party tools can cause more damage than good.
For many people that's true, but I spend a lot of time visiting random sites and testing software.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top