Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Hello otto77!

Thanks for posting your configuration!

I have some tips for you that I wanted to provide you so that you can be more secure with your configuration.

The first thing that I'd like for you to do is to ensure that your firewall is enabled. You do not want to keep a door open for lots of stuff to come right on in or out of your system. The firewall inside of Windows 10 isn't all that bad and it is better to have this enabled than disabled. AVG IS has a firewall inside it too if I'm not correct. I'd update your configuration to include this being enabled once you enable either AVG's firewall feature or Windows.

I would recommend that you try EEK as an on-demand scanner as this would be much better as a second opinion scanner. Plus EEK is free! Another additional scanner that I would recommend is using Norton Power Eraser. This is another free tool that you can have in your tool chest.

I would recommend that you implement a backup plan. There is two pieces of software that are both free: Anomi Backupper and Macrium Reflect. Both are tried and true pieces of software that work excellent. It is best to have a backup plan if your OS starts getting unknown issues if your computer gets a virus that cannot easily be removed and other issues.

For extensions, I would highly recommend HTTPS Everywhere.

Link: HTTPS Everywhere

Description:

HTTPS Everywhere is an extension created by EFF and the Tor Project which automatically switches thousands of sites from insecure "HTTP" to secure "https". It will protect you against many forms of surveillance and account hijacking, and some forms of censorship.

Next up I'd recommend using uBlockOrigin:

Link: uBlock Origin

Description: easy on memory and CPU footprint, and yet can load and enforce thousands of more filters than other popular blockers out there.

I hope my advice will help you become more secure! Thanks again for sharing your configuration with us. Please feel free to ask us questions.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
ZAM realtime protection is decent but far away to be perfect then AVG should be the main supervisor in realtime and ZAM just as on demand scanner.
Please edit your config about the Operating System Images Backups, you can use Macrium free to create and restore reliable OS images.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@otto77: I tagged temporally Your config as Caution, since no backup solution in Your system.

Please kindly consider to add the already mentioned suggestions, and I'll change to Secure Your config.

Thanks for sharing! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.