Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft has released an emergency KB5001028 out-of-band update to fix a bug causing Windows 10 to crash when connecting to WPA3 Wi-Fi networks.

According to a new support issue posted to Microsoft's Windows Message Center, the bug was introduced in the recent Windows 10 1909 cumulative updates. Specifically, KB4598298, released on January 21, 2021, and KB4601315, which was released this past Tuesday, on February 9, 2021.

This bug would cause devices to experience a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) crash when attempting to connect to WPA3 Wi-Fi networks. WPA3 is the recommended wireless encryption protocol as it has the strongest security at this time.

"You might receive stop error 0x7E in nwifi.sys with a blue screen when you attempt to use a Wi-Fi Protected Access 3 (WPA3) connection," Microsoft disclosed today. "You are more likely to encounter this issue when reconnecting to a Wi-Fi network after disconnecting, or when waking from sleep or hibernation. Note Most Wi-Fi networks are currently using WPA2 and are not affected."
The KB5001028 out-of-band update is currently available via Windows Update, WSUS, and via the Microsoft Update catalog.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Paused updates till March 12th.
I think you're sensible to pause Win 10 updates unless it is for a highly critical vulnerability. Over the last few months I've had a couple of PC's seize up due to updates not working, or installing, correctly and one machine was completely messed up, with no way to use any form of backup or reset successfully. I don't like being a guinea-pig for updates that are not yet 'oven-ready' without a fair warning from Microsoft that I may have to spend hours recovering from their failure to provide fit for purpose updates. I've paid for the product and then pay again with my time, its not good.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I think you're sensible to pause Win 10 updates unless it is for a highly critical vulnerability. Over the last few months I've had a couple of PC's seize up due to updates not working, or installing, correctly and one machine was completely messed up, with no way to use any form of backup or reset successfully. I don't like being a guinea-pig for updates that are not yet 'oven-ready' without a fair warning from Microsoft that I may have to spend hours recovering from their failure to provide fit for purpose updates. I've paid for the product and then pay again with my time, its not good.
Yesterday I resumed checking for updates and guess what? I was offered two updates. One that aimed at Flash removal and the other is a cumulative update (January though I have latest February updates installed). After restarting the system, BSOD said hi to me. I restored a system backup and paused updates.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.