Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Quoted:

"Microsoft Outlook has gained the option to block external images in emails. While this might seem like a minor tweak, it can be helpful for privacy-minded users, as images can be used to track whether emails have been read — valuable information for spammers.

Here's the changelog:
  • You can choose to block external images in emails. Turn this on by going to Settings and tapping on the account where you'd like it enabled.
  • All of our weekly updates also include performance improvements and bug fixes to make Outlook better for you.

Incidentally, Gmail started showing images by default years ago, but circumvents potential privacy concerns by using proxy servers."

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Quoted:
as images can be used to track whether emails have been read — valuable information for spammers.

Thanks Spawn, i didn't know that :oops: It just goes to show that even someone like me who doesn't know much about security can actually learn something when people like yourself post this sort of news. Most people probably know this sort of stuff but little ole me has just acquired a new skill in keeping the spammers at bay, thank you (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.