Reactions: MrExplorer

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RE: pablozi's config

I would say Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 is a capable and powerful suite. If you using it to it's full potential, I would just use MBAM Pro as an on-demand scanner -which I think you are doing(?) Just making sure, since Pro is the paid version with realtime protection.

If you are interested, I can only recommend LastPass for a secure password manager.

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011

Yes MBAM Pro is working only as on demand scanner, only realtime updates are activated, no realtime security from MBAM Pro.

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011

I recommend you install Web of Trust (WOT), it's a safe browsing tool that shows the reputation for each site you visit, including on Google search (and other search engines).

http://www.mywot.com

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

KIS 2012 is a powerfull suite, which should keep you safe with no major problems.
As a optional step , you can increase KIS 2012 prevention by using it in Interactive mode ,the main downside is that you'll may need to answer to some pop-ups, however this should increase your level of protection.
kis2012_6255_01_en.gif

On this forums you' can also find a guide on "How To Setup Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 for Maximum Protection",even if it's for the 2011 version ,you can check it out and see if you can use some settings for the 2012 version.(Please note that I'll updated the "How-to" the 2012 version soon :p)
Here are some things that you can add :
Additional browser protection:
WOT (Free) - link
To help you avoid malicious sites you can use Web of Trust (WOT) a website rating browser plugin. After you add it to your browser make sure you only visit websites rated "Green" by WOT

Additional browser plugins
Adblock Plus for Google Chrome (Free) - link
Adblock Plus for Google Chrome is a content-filtering extension for Google Chrome. Adblock allows users to prevent page elements, such as advertisements, from being downloaded and displayed.

LastPass (Free/) - link
LastPass is an online password manager and form filler that makes web browsing easier and more secure.

Extra protection:
EMET 2 (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit) (Free) - link
EMET provides users with the ability to deploy security features built into Windows to arbitrary applications. This helps prevent vulnerabilities in those applications from successfully being exploited. DEP, SEHOP and ASLR are such security features, if you want to learn more about what they do, you can watch this video from Microsoft TechCenter. To configure EMET you should follow this guide by rationallyPARANOID.

VTUploader (Free) - link
To upload a file to VirusTotal, you can visit the main analysis site, click the Browse button to select a file from your hard drive, and then click the Send file button. You can make this process even easier with the free VirusTotal Uploader utility. After installing it, you can simply right-click any file under 20MB and choose "VirusTotal" from the Send To Windows menu. The scan results will display in your browser as usual.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011

I find your config to be pretty solid but I would recommend that you add EMET to protect against Zero-Day vulnerabilities. ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Good config, KIS2012 is all you need from all features you need. Just add that were suggested.

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011

KIS is already working in interactive mode. I am still thinking about EMET, but still not enough time to sit and configure it properly.

I am also thinking about completely new security setup:
Realtime: NIS 2011 + Zemana Antilogger + EMET
On demand: MBAM Pro + HMP

Rest stays the same. I think I will give it a try for a couple of days.

D

Deleted member 178

the second one is solid too. if NIS was free i will use it ^^

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Yet from that plan for new setup its very good combo.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011

I would recommend to ditch Zemana since NIS works good enough on it's own and you won't get Banking Malware if you have Common Sense.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

You can use Zemana Anti-Logger even just for protection against Loggers, even if you don't necessarily do Online Banking.

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011

Actually I am testing Webroot SecureAnywhere BETA. After that I will install NIS and Zemana + EMET. Or maybe I will run WSA for longer period... I do really like lightweight apps, and WSA is one of them.

D

Deleted member 178

WRSA (as Prevx before) is a companion AV so you can use both, just disable the firewall part, no need 2 firewalls.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Have you encountered any bugs while using WRSA with Chrome or with the program itself?

I am also using WRSA beta. :)

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011

stormgtr said:
Have you encountered any bugs while using WRSA with Chrome or with the program itself?
No i haven't encountered any bugs while using WRSA with GC. I cannot see any bugs withs WRSA itself, but it is running on my machine since yesterday, so still anything can happen ;)

D

Deleted member 178

stormgtr said:

i have got some errors with any chromium based browser, but i dont use chrome so much so i dont mind.

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011

So... Switched back to KIS 2012 and added Ghostery extension to Google Chrome.
Still no time to play around with EMET, but I will do this for sure in short period of time.

Also I have installed Kaspersky Mobile Security 9 on my SGS. Runs smooth ;)

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011

Which setup would you guys reccomed?

NIS 2011 + Zemana AntiLogger + EMET
or
DefenseWall PF + Zemana AntiLogger / MBAM Pro

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

I think go to NIS 2011 + Zemana AntiLogger + EMET since its light on resources especially NIS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.