Status
Not open for further replies.

taleblou

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 2, 2012
Hi:

I have decided to run tests on paid AVs and security suites and would like your input on which products should I test and how would you like it to be tested.

Here are some test criteria:
-default setting
-maximum protection setting
-on-demand (malware pack scan)
-proactive (behaviour, HIPS, Shield or on-run detections)
-browser protection (IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, etc.)
-Firewall leak test
-start-up time (slowing down the pc / the time takes for the pc to boots)
-memory usage
-CPU usage
-Number of processors running
-cleaning of and infected pc test

taleblou

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 2, 2012
MalwareCenter said:
Which samples will you use?

I have access to 4 malware link samples sites and they have different types of malwares. From zero-days to trojan to rogues to phishing, etc..

I like to use zero-days new malwares to see how would security apps do to protect against new samples rather then the old samples.

Z

ZeroDay

Nice! I look forward to your tests. I always like to see a product tested at it's maximum security settings, but I know a few will disagree with me there.

technology

Level 7
Verified
Jul 5, 2013
waiting ur test ;)
and ZD there is one agree with you here :D but also at its default setting

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Could you explain what you mean by "Maximum Settings"? That term is a bit vague.

It could mean many different things such as; High Heuristics, Detect PUP and Joke programs, HIPS and BB on maximum paranoia, scanning All Files (slows down performance), etc.

Could you include a Default installation whilst ratings all the extra crap these AV vendors includes; such as bloatware, other programs and toolbars?

Z

ZeroDay

I mean set heuristics to max, make sure pup is enabled, scan all files, set bb to paranoid mode, if there's an active virus control set it to max. I mean make the product perform to it's absolute best ability. None of this default stuff. I know people like tests done at default settings and people say messing with the settings doesn't make that much difference but I disagree.

spywar

Level 11
Oct 26, 2012
BTW you have enough samples on this forum :D

for me : If a product is tested against let's say 30 unknown malware, letting the default settings is nonsense, cause in real life you'll never encounter as many threats. At the time that you put the product in a stress situation you need to adjust the equation by tweaking the settings of the product.

taleblou

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 2, 2012
Earth said:
Could you explain what you mean by "Maximum Settings"? That term is a bit vague.

It could mean many different things such as; High Heuristics, Detect PUP and Joke programs, HIPS and BB on maximum paranoia, scanning All Files (slows down performance), etc.

Could you include a Default installation whilst ratings all the extra crap these AV vendors includes; such as bloatware, other programs and toolbars?

Hi:
To answer your question, please read post number 7. It answers what I mean by maximum or highest setting.

taleblou

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 2, 2012
HI:

Al-right I will test both default and tweaked or highest or maximum setting and most of those categories I mentioned in my post.. So now I have 2 question before I start the test.

1. which browser would you guys like me to use for my tests (I was thinking using the most popular browser according to CNET or Software Informer for test) and 2. which products would you like to see tested?

I was thinking using CNET and software informer popularity ranking to choose the AVs or security apps, but if you want any please tell me in here.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Top modern browsers such as Google Chrome and Internet Explorer 9 and up, have better malware, phishing and download protection than the likes of Firefox and Opera.

I'd like to see these products tested with Mozilla Firefox (stable). What do others think?

taleblou

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 2, 2012
Well according to CNET and software informer, the most popular browser is Mozilla Firefox. SO I will use it in my test. The latest non beta I will use.

Software Informer set firefox popularity at 548,839 downloads (highest)

CNET set firefox popularity at 40,861,480 downloads (highest)

taleblou

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 2, 2012
Earth said:
Top modern browsers such as Google Chrome and Internet Explorer 9 and up, have better malware, phishing and download protection than the likes of Firefox and Opera.

I'd like to see these products tested with Mozilla Firefox (stable). What do others think?

I will wait to see what others think.

I wish there was a way for me in here to make a poll on browsers to see which is chosen the most.

Z

ZeroDay

Earth said:

Yes I'd like to see that too. I'm a former Firefox user who only switched to Chrome a few months back, best move I made.

taleblou

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 2, 2012
Ok.

I will do IE-10, firefox and chrome latest stable version on my test.

I my self would use Maxthon cloud first and then firefox as a backup. Firefox tops because it has more security type extensions and also great flash and download managers. In my experience, firefox plays flash video and online videos better then chrome does.

Since I am on linux mint machine and I can not use maxthon then I use firefox and chrome.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You'll be testing each browser on stock settings and without extensions?

Looking forward to the outcome. :)

taleblou

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 2, 2012
yes on stock setting without any extension or touching them.

Well as for the Security apps, here are the top 10 popular ones that I will test from CNET. Please tell me if you want any others. Since there are several modes of AVAST and AVG, please let me know which type to use. AVAST and AVG come in free, pro, IS types.

CNET result:
1. AVG antivirus free: 477,597,700 downloads
2. Ad-aware free antivirus+: 381,829,039
3. AVAST free antivirus: 262,352,480
4. AVIRA free antivirus: 144,345,760
5. Spybot search and destroy: 122,352,367
6. Malwarebyte antimalware: 117,272,273 (will use pro)
7. AVAST internet security: 11,813,981
8. AVG antivirus 2013 pro: 9,884,441
9. Norton antivirus 2013: 9,416,253
10. AVAST antivirus pro: 8,910,349

So let me know for avast and avg I will use their free version and either their pro or Internet security version. You choose which the pro or IS.

Please let me know of any other avs you want to see.

taleblou

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 2, 2012
Well I have decided on the following to test. These tests will take sometimes and will post result here. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Tweaked and default
-AVG free and IS
-AVAST free and IS
-AVIRA free and IS
-Malwarebyte antimalware pro
-Norton IS
-Comodo IS
-webroot secure anywhere
-Eset NOD
-360 IS
-Baidu AV
-Microsoft security essential
-Mcafee IS
-Kaspersky pure
-Bitdefender AV free and total security
-Panda cloud free
-Trendmicro Titanium IS
-Zonealarm free AV + firewall
-Ensisoft antimalware
-Bullguard IS

browsers: IE-10, Firefox, chrome latest stable untouched

Z

ZeroDay

Looking forward to your tests taleblou, When will you be starting testing?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Interesting mix of Free and Paid suites. Do you think ZoneAlarm Extreme is worth testing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.