Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Pale Moon 24.3.0
Changes and bugfixes:
  • New build: Atom-optimized Pale Moon
    After some thorough testing, the Atom/netbook builds are being released as final. These builds are specifically made for PCs with Intel Atom processors. More information can be found on the Atom builds page.
  • New feature: the title has been brought back to the title bar
    When using the Application Menu (Pale Moon button), the title bar of the browser window would be blank. Considering this is wasted space, the page title will now be displayed in the title bar again (it's called a title bar for a reason, after all!). Several different styles have been implemented to cater to different OS version layouts.
  • Removal of the services tab in the Add-on Manager
    It will be visible only if someone actually has a service extension installed (similar to how language packs work)
  • Improvement of UI consistency
    Removal of illogical selective hiding of the navigation bar and toolbars when in tabs-on-top mode (Add-ons manager, permissions manager, etc.). Browser chrome will now never be hidden.
  • Bugfix: When using the classic downloads window, downloads in private windows were not shown
    If you use the classic downloads window and would open a Private Browsing (PB) window, there was no easy way to see which downloads were done in the PB window. When checking the downloads, it would open up the (non-PB) classic downloads window which does not have downloads listed from the PB session. This has been fixed, and PB windows will now open a new tab in the PB window with the downloads from that private session.
  • Bugfix: Geolocation didn't work in Pale Moon
    This was caused by the Firefox standard geolocation provider (Google Inc.) now requiring an API key to request geolocation coordinates. Only official Mozilla Firefox builds will have working geolocation from Google.
    Pale Moon has switched provider to IP-API.com to address this issue, with the required re-write of code for the different type of request. More information on the forum.
  • Bugfix: The "More information" link for blocked add-ons didn't work
  • Bugfix: Certain scaled fonts would have malformed lettersOn Vista and later with hardware acceleration enabled, certain letters of some font families would become malformed and difficult to read because of a Direct2D scaling issue. These fonts should now render sharp and more legibly.
  • Romanian has been added to the status bar localizations
Bugfixes ported over:
  • Bug 903274 - Have the search bar binding's initialization callback bail out if the binding is destroyed.
  • Bug 951142 - Check for a close method to be present on the binding before invoking it.
  • Bug 908915 - Fix compartment mismatch in shell decompileThis and disassemble functions.
  • Bug 950909 - Forward native aggregation to the root XPCWrappedJS.
  • Bug 937152 - Remove XPCWrappedJS::mMainThread and mMainThreadOnly.
  • Bug 948134 - Fix "value is not defined" in PlacesDBUtils.jsm.
  • Bug 822425 - Expose a few simple compartment assertions in jsfriendapi.
  • Bug 932906 - Observer no longer called when using overlay
Security fixes:
  • Update of the NSS library to 3.15.4 RTM
  • Bug 936808 - Serialize calls to PK11 routines in SSLServerCertVerification.
  • Bug 945939 - Use the pre-split value when numbering values.
  • Bug 911864 - Fix several XBL issues
  • Bug 921470 - Remove hasFallbackStub_ check in resetMonitorStubChain.
  • Bug 950590 - Use nsRefPtr for gfxFontGroup's reference to the user font set, and support changing it from canvas context.
  • Bug 937697 - Simplify some BoundsCheckRange code.
  • Bug 936056 - Be consistent about the thisobj we pass to getters.
  • Bug 953114 - Fix GetElementIC typed array issue.
  • Bug 937132 - SpiderMonkey: Check for overflows in LifoAlloc.
  • Bug 932162 - Dispatch IndexedDB FileInfo releases to the main thread.
  • Bug 951366 - Use AutoDetectInvalidation for disabled GetElement caches.
  • Bug 950438 - IonMonkey: The intersection of two ranges that both contain NaN is not empty.
  • Bug 950268 - Fix leak in nsCertTree::GetDispInfoAtIndex.
  • Bug 932906 - Exempt Remote XUL from CanCreateWrapper checks.
  • Bug 882933 - Copy treatAsRunOnce bit when cloning scripts, don't clone scripts unnecessarily for arrow lambdas.
  • Bug 901348 - Duplicate symbol errors building --with-intl-api.
  • Bug 925896 - Properly reference session data
  • Bug 943803 - Use monitor instead of mutex locking for raster images
  • Bug 942164 - Use weak references to imgRequest consumers
  • Bug 947592 - Streamline ReportLoadError.
http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes-ng.shtml

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Install yesterday work great on Windows 8.1 Pro X64 Bits Operating System. And Pale Moon is very fast! Wish I
could say the same on Windows 8.1 X86 Bits Operating System. Comp-ability issues! with the Browser!

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
The first browser I chose to download to usurp IE upon our Windows 8.1 was the 32 bit version of Pale Moon. I liked the user interface which was both similar to Firefox yet also somewhat different.:) The performance was likewise similar to Firefox, & slower than I'd hoped it would be.:oops: Our system failed after using it near the close of the year, & shortly after joining MT, by what is often referred to, infamously, as the b.s.o.d. :eek:(Blue Screen of Death). BitDefender Free (incompatible at the time), & a "system kernel failure" that recurred 1 other time, were also culprits as to why Pale Moon, along with every other application installed on the system, was purged:mad: when the system was "refreshed" back to it's original Windows 8 factory state.:( So, Pale Moon was then narrowly (& eventually) edged it out of our system & memory:confused: for the more familiar Firefox.:rolleyes:

Now, I've extracted Pale Moon version 24.4.0 (x64) portable http://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-portable.shtml onto an external flash drive, & look forward to trying it's "wings" on numerous internet tests flights. So far it is smooth running & fast, and although I've only just begun am quite excited to see how it compares to our only other 64 bit browser, Cyberfox. I'll keep you all posted & in the know as to how they compare as I'm off to a good re-start with Pale Moon!:D

Last edited:

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Cats-4_Owner-2,

Cyberfox. I'll keep you all posted & in the know as to how they compare as I'm off to a good re-start with Pale Moon!:D

Interesting! Let us know what happen? ;)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Cats-4_Owner-2,

Cyberfox. I'll keep you all posted & in the know as to how they compare as I'm off to a good re-start with Pale Moon!:D

Interesting! Let us know what happen? ;)

OK, after only 1 day I've noticed Pale Moon x64 is noticeably quick. So far, it seems, clearly quicker than Firefox (on my Windows 8.1) though not quite as fast at playing the same web based Flash game as when I use Cyberfox. Something I did notice was Pale Moon starts up quicker. I'm using my core personal security extensions: Disconnect, Adblock Plus, NoScript, Self Destructing Cookies, & (lastly) LastPass!:p
Bottom line: It's much faster than Pale Moon x32, and I like it!:cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.