Battle Panda Cloud, Avira Free, Windows Defender

Status
Not open for further replies.

RmG152

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Hi all, I want to change 360IS for another free product because 360 give me too much FP.

I don't like Avast, and i want to now the better option between the 3 products in the title.

All on Windows 8.1

Free solutions discarted:
360IS & 360 TS: to much FP.
Comodo: slowdown my computer on w8.1, i don't know why, because works great on w7.
Avast!: i dont like it.
AVG: i don't trust it.
Immunet: i like it as companion, not as main AV.

Reactions: nissimezra

JollyGood

Level 1
Verified
Jan 7, 2015
Well i know for a fact that avira has one of the best anti-virus/anti-malware engines however not exactly sure on its system impact because the last time i used it (sometime in 2013) it slowed my system to a hault. Panda on the other hand is an anti-virus/anti-malware product that i have always loved; its light, it has a fairly decent detection rate and since they were the first anti-virus company to implement cloud security into a consumer version of their anti-virus software they've got the upper in cloud anti-virus when compared to other competators. Microsoft windows defender is pretty decent as well, its light, gives you decent security. However, if your into downloading torrents, visting risky websites and pushing you computer security to the ragged edge it would be best if you stayed away from it. It is for the more average user who'd watch netflix/youtube on their PC, check their accounts once in a while, create spreadsheets (well you get the idea).

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
there are only 3 free anti viruses that works good, all the other will either kill your system or won't protect you.
qihoo 360IS
Avast
MSE.
any other chice will be bad. maybe baidu will be good but i never tested it.
keep in mind that MSE does have a very low detection but it won't kill your OS

Last edited:
Reactions: RmG152

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
there are only 3 free anti viruses that works good, all the other will either kill your system or won't protect you.
qihoo 360IS
Avast
MSE.
any other chice will be bad. maybe baidu will be good but i never tested it.
Thats bs. Panda free is just as good as qihoo,avast or any other free av out there.all does a decent job protecting u if u are not a happy clicker,than nothing will help u. avg,avira,qihoo,avast,panda,mse are all good for a free option.

H

hjlbx

Comodo: slowdown my computer on w8.1, i don't know why, because works great on w7.

Current Comodo version added a lot to the start-up process, but it performed well on my W8.1 AMD A8-6410. If it is only a slow start-up then that is all right. If it was chewing up your processor after start-up then that is definitely no good at all.

Either Avira Free or Panda Cloud.

For typical daily use either one is probably enough depending upon your surf/download habits.

Performance on your specific system - you have to try each one out.

If I had to do it, to keep things simple and secure, I would try Panda Cloud + Emsisoft Emergency Kit (freeware on-demand scanner)

Using that combo I would feel confident that I would have a solid combination of signature detection.

With Avira Free, I would not feel the need to use EEK.

Hope this helps.

Billcomputerman123

Level 5
Verified
Feb 12, 2015
Current Comodo version added a lot to the start-up process, but it performed well on my W8.1 AMD A8-6410. If it is only a slow start-up then that is all right. If it was chewing up your processor after start-up then that is definitely no good at all.

Either Avira Free or Panda Cloud.

For typical daily use either one is probably enough depending upon your surf/download habits.

Performance on your specific system - you have to try each one out.

If I had to do it, to keep things simple and secure, I would try Panda Cloud + Emsisoft Emergency Kit (freeware on-demand scanner)

Using that combo I would feel confident that I would have a solid combination of signature detection.

With Avira Free, I would not feel the need to use EEK.

Hope this helps.
lol i would use this for avira :p
avira free antivirus+malwarebytes antimalware free+emsisoft emergency kit

Billcomputerman123

Level 5
Verified
Feb 12, 2015
They could start by making a better UI. The one they have now is poorly designed and is making me turn away from it all together. I tried to use AVG a month ago and it completely made my computer crash, It's detection isn't that good if you ask me. The so-called interface makes me uninstall it right away, I don't like nothing about AVG anymore. If they made it "usable" I would actually try and use it for a good amount of time and then giving my honest opinion about it, but for now I don't like it period.

Even if the detection is decent I would never use it with such a horrible interface.

Interface is everything to me.
the avg ui dose not seem horible to me

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
I'd have to pick Avira, even with the leftover files after uninstall... and the latest 2015 Free (beta or not beta?) refusing to automatically update... manual didn't even work. Can't say I have tried Panda Cloud, and well... Windows Defender, better protection provided by 2nd hand tampons :)

Plus, Avira Free has a lot of executable files that scream for internet access...

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
p.png

http://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus...14/panda-security-free-antivirus-15.0-144025/

H

hjlbx

From initial post he is looking for simple signature-based solution.

Panda Cloud + EEK = very good web protection with good signatures detection (EEK only manual scans)

Avira Free = excellent signatures detection with not so good web protections

He can get away with Avira Free as long as he adds AdBlock, AdGuard, web-content filtering plugin like uMatrix for Chrome, or Privoxy or some workable combination.

I would use Avira and add web protections ... he doesn't mention web protections. I assume that area needs bolstering. Generally does.

Panda Cloud gets mixed reviews ... sometimes it performs great, other times only so-so... not consistent.

Avira is consistently a top performer in signature detections, but only so-so in other areas.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Qihoo is good but not the best. Detecting good files as bad, not the good idea fro home-users.
I do not know how he uses his machine with internet but we are not swimming into bad files. We have many good files but Qihoo detects them, it made me crazy in the past. Every new exe detected by Qihoo, I do not like it.
Only deficient side of Avira is BB or HIPS.

Actually it depends on the engine you use. Using Avira engine you get a lot less FP's

S

starchild76

everyone here is bashing down on AVG , when it actually one of the better AV'S out there. everybody is yelling like a headless chicken that its one of the worst , when in most of the cases , those people who are yelling this actually never tried it. indeed in the past AVG was not more than average and now it does a way better job in protecting the user. and all this bs about the current gui : beauty is in he eye of the beholder. I quite like it and its NOT my fanboy type of view , after all its not the gui that saves your rearend when you get infected!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.