Advice Request Panda installation blocked by voodooshield

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ddave

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 17, 2014
Hi guys,
I was installing panda free in search of a lightweight free antivirus when voodooshield was triggered saying that one of the panda files is suspect.
It's a false positive?
Should i worry about panda free?
Panda.png

P

Pkjfkknm

Hi guys,
I was installing panda free in search of a lightweight free antivirus when voodooshield was triggered saying that one of the panda files is suspect.
It's a false positive?
Should i worry about panda free?
View attachment 217509

voodoo didnt detect anything. it uses the scan engine signatures provided by virustotal. 6 of those signature scan engines are returning the verdict that the file is malicious. the file name is a string of numbers which is unusual coz panda free installer is named PandaFreeAV.exe. voodoo Ai is telling you it is safe but virustotal scan engine signatures are telling you it is malicious. trust those signatures before voodoo ai.

provide link to the panda free install download or at least submit it to virustotal and provide file analysis link.

at the moment no one knows what your installing

Last edited by a moderator:

ddave

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 17, 2014
voodoo didnt detect anything. it uses the scan engine signatures provided by virustotal. 6 of those signature scan engines are returning the verdict that the file is malicious. the file name is a string of numbers which is unusual coz panda free installer is named PandaFreeAV.exe. voodoo Ai is telling you it is safe but virustotal scan engine signatures are telling you it is malicious. trust those signatures before voodoo ai.
The file named with a string of numbers is a file panda's installer (PandaFreeAV.exe downloaded from panda's website) is trying to download. Voodooshield has blocked the panda installer.

Honestly, I have never used Voodooshield and I see there is no need to use it in my case. If you like Panda, what about using the Dome Adavnced version with @ForgottenSeer 58943 settings and pair it osarmour?
Thanks for the advice but I like free solutions more. With the free version of panda is better use voodooshield or osarmor?

davisd

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2019
Don't use Panda Dome free. Only paid versions are worth it where you can use Application Control, block most commonly abused LOLbins with it, and get other advanced tools/modules. Get rid of Voodooshield and use OSArmor instead if you like it and can understand the settings it applies to your system. Blindly installing some "security" tool just because everyone else does is not recommended, then it's not about security anymore, but about being a sheep following others jumping from the cliff.

Last edited:

ddave

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 17, 2014
Don't use Panda Dome free. Only paid versions are worth it where you can use Application Control, block most commonly abused LOLbins with it, and get other advanced tools/modules. Get rid of Voodooshield and use OSArmor instead if you like it and can understand the settings it applies to your system. Blindly installing some "security" tool just because everyone else does is not recommended, then it's not about security anymore, but about being a sheep following others jumping from the cliff.
I don't install a tool because everyone else does it. Simply I ask for an advice. Moreover, imho, I prefer use one or more free tool instead of a paid one if I can have a similar protection.
Doesn't panda come with some sort of toolbar or potentially unwanted program which other AV vendors tend to detect?
At the best of my knowledge they ditched the browser extension.

davisd

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2019
I personally just run Windows Defender with VoodooShield. I think it's enough
Either you know for a fact based on your computing knowledge its enough, or you want to believe it's enough, believing and actually seeing the facts have nothing in common. Entire security industries are making people "feel" safe when it has nothing to do with the actually keeping safe from malware threats. It's a smoke and mirrors game, and user is the pawn on the board, being used, abused, and manipulated with including "feelings" in digital security landscape by making you feel potentially unsafe whatever move you take next, buying a dishwasher online via using your credit card details which could be stolen if you don't use their "Antibanker/Anti-keylogger" or Pr0nhub from which you just came and scaremongering about drive-by downloads or FIB type of malware found in adds pop-ups to track your identity online, all just for you to buy their security product and make you "feel" safe.

Last edited:

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Either you know for a fact based on your computing knowledge its enough, or you want to believe it's enough, believing and actually seeing the facts have nothing in common. Entire security industries are making people "feel" safe when it has nothing to do with the actually keeping safe from malware threats. It's a smoke and mirrors game, and user is the pawn on the board, being used, abused, and manipulated with including "feelings" in digital security landscape by making you feel potentially unsafe whatever move you take next, just for you to buy their product and make you "feel" safe.
I mean, Windows Defender usually has higher detections than panda, and some fancy features such as controlled folders access (works really well in case of ransomware attacks, but has false positives). Then you really make each file you run go through VirusTotal (which has all static engines), so I don't see the need of any third party AV. VoodooShield also blocks malware that comes from flash drives because it denies the execution of autorun.
The only vector of attack that could go through is a browser exploit (which sends malware directly into memory), but that's really rare and I have never encountered one, or the well-known VoodooShield bypass that kills VS first and then runs the malware (but you need to fall for a targeted attack), or other unknown VoodooShield bypasses.

Related to "being light", I only find some slowdown when the desktop loads on startup, and it's mainly due to VoodooShield and its desktop gadget, but not when I use my PC (then again, Windows Defender is known to slow you down when copying/pasting files, but I don't find it a great issue)

Last edited:
Reactions: Divine_Barakah

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.