Panda Internet Security 2014 (File Detection?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talis

Thread author
Apr 1, 2014
I am a little confused about Panda, a lot of the time when running the malware packs here in this forum, Panda only detects around 50% of them, even when I'm SUD'ing them maybe (6) more a day get detected which is kinda confusing. I would say its because panda is just bad, but it gets high marks in a lot of the AV-Comparitive/AV-test tests. I have kind of come to a conclusion that pure cloud antivirus products just don't work as well as those products that have signatures on the computer for what ever reason, I know Webroot SecureAnywhere also is plagued with low scored in file detection. Is its just a cloud antivirus company being lazy thing? or is it something to do with how the cloud is run that gives them poor file detection. I am really curious.

Anyone have some insight?

Reactions: Koroke San

Mateotis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
The malware packs (mostly) contain zero-day malware, so a low detection rate in itself is not the mark of a bad product.

Keep on SUD'ing, this is what makes them better. :)

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
Panda malware detection rate is not that good. There proactive protection from unknown malware is also not that good.

Even if you submit undetected sample, that does not mean that they will be able to detect it after few days. Some antivirus company are not able to detect it as malicious.

Thats the key point of all antivirus vendors. All of them collects suspicious samples. But who will get better detection rate depends on their capability to detect maliciousness of sample files.

Talis

Thread author
Apr 1, 2014
The malware packs (mostly) contain zero-day malware, so a low detection rate in itself is not the mark of a bad product.

Keep on SUD'ing, this is what makes them better. :)

Yep, but I'm noting that all the other Zero-Day detections are higher with other products to a point where there is a huge divide, even more so with the cloud products like panda and webroot getting the lowest file detection scores. I am just trying to figure out why, also despite SUD'ing malicious files it seems that only a few from them are added a day, which is pretty slow.

Reactions: Koroke San
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.