panickkk's security config

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
About the search engine Google, I personally prefer using "encrypted.google.com",
About the browser I will add some extensions you feel ok with, someone may suggest the EFF for HTTPS, I prefer Smart HTTPS,
I will add some third party scanner that you can use also from a USB pen ondemand,
The SmartScreen would be better if turned-on,

For the rest I can't say much, maybe a good config with a proper third-party firewall, hope more descriptions added :)

P

plat1098

Turn on UAC and set it to max.

A question: default is the second notch from the top, which eliminates the prompts if you change Windows settings. Setting it to max annoys me no end, maybe others. If your security is alteady decent, is there an appreciable advantage to setting UAC to the maximum?

Edit: I should clarify: some malware can bypass UAC to give itself administrator priv. BUT, I'm not clear on whether all UAC can be bypassed or just at the default setting and below. On a day-to-day use, the annoyance factor maybe would trump the possibility of acquiring such a malware, unless you're reckless, etc. I don't know, any thoughts? My UAC is default, by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
While the config has UAC and SmartScreen (OS File Reputation) both off, the config tag will keep in Risky :)

Consider also a PassWord Manger and ZAM Free, HitMan Pro and Norton Power Eraser for on demands scans...

And for Image System Backup -> Macrium Reflect or AOMEI Backupper

Thanks for sharing! :)

Last edited:

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
AX64 has long been considered 'dead' since the original dev sold his patent. The program has a lot of issues, and I can't recommend using it.

You would get the same function out of Rollback/Drive Cloner; which is regularly updated and is more reliable.

As has already been mentioned:
Set UAC to max
Turn on Smartcreen

Rengar

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
No, no, I was asking about the difference between max and default, and the possible annoyance factor, that's all. Please don't get mad at me. :cry: Too much ramble-on, sorry about that.
Chill :giggle:
UAC can block the automatic installation of unauthorized apps and prevent not intentional changes to system settings.
Default: Prevents programs from elevating to admin. Does not prevent the user.
Highest: Prevents programs and the user from elevating to admin.
Is this the answer you want?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Enable UAC and Smartscreen!
I would consider using AVAST as your real time protection.
Consider a system image & data backup solution such as the free ones already mentioned.
Consider backing up important data to an external drive also.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

panickkk

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 31, 2017
While the config has UAC and SmartScreen (OS File Reputation) both off, the config tag will keep in Risky :)

Consider also a PassWord Manger and ZAM Free, HitMan Pro and Norton Power Eraser for on demands scans...

And for Image System Backup -> Macrium Reflect or AOMEI Backupper

Thanks for sharing! :)
Hey!

Well for the system back up i also use Acronis but thats less freqent. As for Password manager, i store the offsite on my old blackberry device :)

panickkk

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 31, 2017
Enable UAC and Smartscreen!
I would consider using AVAST as your real time protection.
Consider a system image & data backup solution such as the free ones already mentioned.
Consider backing up important data to an external drive also.
Thanks for sharing your config :)
My Avast actually comes with my SecureAPlus as a stonealone add-on at the moment. Just checked and they are actually enabled (Default settings). Together with the SecureAPlus application whitelisting

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.