Parkos's configuration

Parkos

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 1, 2015
After always using free antivirus software and only got infected a really long time ago, I recently decided to switch to a commercial package. The decision was made because of all the ads iand just because I didn't like the ad-free alternatives.

In my time using the free packages I also ran some trials of commercial ones. From those, Dr.Web was always my favorite but the price stopped me from getting a license. But I finally cave in and got one. So far I'm feeling confident that my current set-up will keep my pc clean!

In addition to the software on my pc, I'm also changed my DNS to OpenDNS.

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
As far as I know, the Security Space version has a feature called "Spider Gate".
It is the web protection module of Dr.Web.
Of course it can improve the protection capability, but some users complain that Gate will slow down the network speed significantly, and it has some false positive errors.
If you have such problem, you can do a customized installation -- the Spider Gate module could be unchecked during installation.

We often call Dr.Web "the one who kills all the others", because it does not have a good compatibility with the other security softwares.
Particularly, it will conflicts with Sandboxie in the 64-bit operation systems.
But I hear that there are some people using combo "Dr.Web + Spyshelter".
Maybe you can consider the free version or the premium version of Spyshelter if you are seeking some security products that can work with Dr.Web.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Dr.Web is totally good on most sophisticated threats with not so many database signatures since for sure spring cleaning to remove obsolete detections so you might consider to have a companion AV like Webroot or SecureAplus/Crystal Security.

You may add a backup browser for just in case of issues occur.

D

Deleted member 178

Approved by Staff

2s9jymOt.jpg

Use a backup (windows one or a 3rd party one)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I enjoyed your sharing, and how you came to choose Dr. Web's paid Security Space!

For privacy using Chrome, the following steps set 3rd party cookies to be blocked.;)
  1. Click the Chrome menu
    tgmsrPRh34tM4q0WYv7l-NNXDz7dqm7ftk8TyCEguoY30xkEg8lcw_ULI23ki9Q=w18-h18
    on the browser toolbar.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Click Show advanced settings.
  4. In the "Privacy" section, click the Content settings button.
  5. In the "Cookies" section, you can change the following cookies settings to
    block cookies:
    • You'll see
      chrome_95647_blocked_cookie.gif
      in the address bar whenever a cookie has been blocked.
    • Select the "Block third-party cookies and site data" checkbox. Even if you've added a site to the Exceptions list and have chosen to allow its cookies, the site's third-party cookies won't be accepted if this checkbox is selected.
    • Additionally, browsing using "Incognito" may not make you invisible, but it is a worthwhile method of reducing the level with which we are all tracked.:)

Last edited:

Parkos

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 1, 2015
I'll definitly going to start using the default windows backup solution, thank you all for the suggestions and tips.

@Online_Sword:
I don't really notice any slowdowns during browsing, Dr.Web security space 11 is probably one of the lightest Antivirus solutions i've used.

@jamescv7
That is something new for me to hear, as they cleary state on their website that they don't exclude older threats from their database.
Dr.Web - innovation anti-virus security technologies. Comprehensive protection from Internet threats.

@Cats-4_Owners-2
Thank you for the detailed explantion, going to check it out!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Parkos: Its a part of assumption only, well its true that if older threats which are workable will not remove from database.

Of course possible of broken samples may sure to remove for optimization. Anyway number of database signatures is not a matter at all but for rest assurance to have another layer for possible bypass. ;)

Reactions: Moose

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Dr.Web security space 11 is probably one of the lightest Antivirus solutions i've used.

It is really amazing for me. Because I have seen many users complaining the high resource usage of Dr.Web v10...

Could you post the CPU usage and RAM usage in both the idle time and the busy time (like when you watch high resolution online videos on youtube) ?

Thanks.:)

Reactions: Moose

Parkos

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 1, 2015
@jamescv7 :
An extra layer of security can be benificial indeed, I'll keep it in mind. Thank you!

@Online_Sword
Ah, then maybe they optimized their engine in the 11.0 version. Like you asked I made a screenshot of the dr.web processes in idle and under load (FullHD Youtube).

Idle:
dwidle.jpg
Load:
drwebload.jpg

Dr.web still has two more processes the webfilter and the Spider Service.
The webfilter used 0 CPU and around 7.5mb RAM during Idle and 1% CPU and 12 to 13mb RAM during load.
The Spider service used 0 CPU and around 4mb RAM during idle and 0 CPU and 6mb RAM during load.

Sorry I didn't have the time to put those two processes in the screenshot.

edit: During updates the update process uses around 15mb ram and 3% CPU.
I also didn't install the dr.web firewall, parental control and mail scanning component.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.