PassMark Consumer Security Products Performance Benchmarks - November 2018

a1nn

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2017
This is somewhat old test that I recently discovered while looking through Symantec's website. The benchmarks record 23 metrics:
  • Boot Time
  • Scan Time
  • User Interface Launch Time
  • Memory Usage during System Idle
  • Memory Usage during Initial Scan
  • Browse Time
  • Edge Launch Time
  • Installation Time
  • Installation Size
  • File Copy, Move and Delete
  • Installation of Third Party Applications
  • Network Throughput
  • File Format Conversion
  • File Compression and Decompression
  • PE Scan Time
  • File Copy Disk to Disk
  • File Copy Over Network
  • File Download
  • PCMark8 Home Score
  • Word Document Launch and Open Time
  • Run Excel Macro
  • Save Word Document as PDF
  • USB 3.0 File Copy
Summary (higher score is better):

This seems to contradict some of the benchmarks in the recent AV-Comparatives April 2019 Performance Test. Full report is here.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
The parameters used for the tests for Performance scores are different. While AV-Comparatives uses 6 parameters, Passmark takes 18 parameters for performance testing. Also AV-Comparatives uses PC-Mark scoring system instead of Passmark.

Note that Passmark report also has PC-Mark report embedded into it.

a1nn

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2017
The parameters used for the tests for Performance scores are different. While AV-Comparatives uses 6 parameters, Passmark takes 18 parameters for performance testing. Also AV-Comparatives uses PC-Mark scoring system instead of Passmark.

Note that Passmark report also has PC-Mark report embedded into it.

I assume that you're addressing my comment that this report contradicts some of the AV-Comparatives benchmarks. I didn't mean the score overall; I meant in specific tests. For example, the AV-Comparatives report noted that Avira was 'slow' when downloading files. On the other hand, the PassMark report put it as one of the fastest at downloading, only surpassed by Trend Micro by 0-0.1 seconds on average. In compressing and decompressing files Symantec was given a 'mediocre' in the AV-Comparatives report, while PassMark placed it second fastest on average only bested by McAfee by 0.1 seconds. The PCMark scores could have been affected by the versions; AVC uses PCMark 10 while PassMark uses PCMark 8, but there are still some discrepancies there. F-Secure is on opposite sides of the spectrum for PCMark scores on the two reports.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I trust only the results on my system. :giggle:

STEFANOS Performance Benchmarks :p
On my system
light protections.
360TS , Avira , Webroot, Avast before the last update Now is heavy. Panda is light on boot with low ram but delay downloads . WD strange but is light on my system. BullGuard high ram but light. McAfee is light. Eset is very light. Tencent high ram but light. Comodo cloud is light.
Heavy protections
G DATA the most heavy on my system. Zone alarm like G DATA. Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Avast AVG after the last update is heavy on my system. Comodo antivirus after 2 weeks it become very heavy. Sophos Home it use more of 300 mb ram. I do not like to spend my ram only for protection.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.