Advice Request Password Reset Emails

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
What should I do immediately do if I receive a legitimate password reset email I did not do ? (I know contact the site) Though what else please?

I know it seems simple but I don't want to do the wrong thing and jump the gun.

BTW I don't mind redoing my pc if it is the best way to safely minimize the risk of it happening again but only maybe of course.

No I did not download any software recently or go to any site without noscript.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I'm not completely sure what is the best action, but don't click any links in those mails.
If it is not a scam, then I would advise to enable two-factor authentication for that website/account and after that change your password (just in case).
Same for your mail account.
I hope others can provide some more advise.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
NG- First off, from what service did the reset emails come from? Assuming that they are legitimate (and you must) best practice is for you to change your pasword immediately, then see if anything else ever occurs. Also, it is always good to assume that someone (or something) did indeed mess with your account due to that account being involved in some past breach (Don't mess with your PC as in all probability any issue was external to it).

There are many sites that will check if an email account was ever involved in past breaches like: Check if Your Email Has Been Exposed in a Data Breach

Don't Freak, but instead change Pword.

m

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
I'm not completely sure what is the best action, but don't click any links in those mails.
If it is not a scam, then I would advise to enable two-factor authentication for that website/account and after that change your password (just in case).
Same for your mail account.
I hope others can provide some more advise.

What if the site does not have 2FA ?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.