Patch Your Windows: Microsoft Releases Critical Security Updates

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Microsoft has released a total of 14 security bulletins as part of this month’s Patch Tuesday cycle, with six of them considered to be critical and targeting all Windows versions on the market.

First and foremost, we have MS16-129, which is a cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge patching a Remote Code Execution (RCE) flaw that would allow an attacker to gain the same privileges as the logged in user when a malicious website is loaded.

Then, it’s MS16-130, a security update for Microsoft Windows, which also patches RCE flaws that “could allow remote code execution if a locally authenticated attacker runs a specially crafted application.” MS16-131 is a critical patch that resolves vulnerabilities in the operating system that can be exploited with arbitrary code targeting Microsoft Video Control.

MS16-132 is a security update for Microsoft Graphics Component fixing vulnerabilities that can be exploited when a malicious webpage is loaded, causing the Windows Animation Manager to improperly handle objects in memory. A successful attack allows hackers to install programs, view and delete data or even create new accounts with administrator rights.

Last but not least, there’s MS16-141 (security update for Adobe Flash Player) and MS16-142for Internet Explorer, with the latter targeting all supported versions of the browser at the moment.

The Google-disclosed security flaw
In case you’re looking for the patch aimed at the Google-disclosed Windows vulnerability, this is MS16-135 and is only flagged as important, which is a little bit unexpected given the fact that exploits have already been spotted in the wild.

“This security update resolves vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows. The most severe of the vulnerabilities could allow elevation of privilege if an attacker logs on to an affected system and runs a specially crafted application that could exploit the vulnerabilities and take control of an affected system,” Microsoft says.

Read more: Gentlemen, Patch Your Windows: Microsoft Releases Critical Security Updates

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Update went well, however I restarted both systems as at some point download seemed to be stuck. It took forever (as usual, no matter why, maybe my WiFi router isn't very good, but hey, it was free. Checked for "guests" also. Update sharing is disabled in Windows options.), but it went smooth.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
I will check for this update this afternoon.
But I hope that this time everything will be ok, because the previous updates have caused a problem with Windows Modules Installer Worker service, which was active for hours after the PC reboot the and it was using 99% CPU.

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
Thanks for the heads up Jack. I haven't had time to read the KB articles yet - but I noticed one was for flash - so I assume there's one Adobe released today also. Around the holidays there seem to be more problems (online shopping I guess). Mine updated earlier today. I was reading on another blog. If you are having issues (or to prevent issues with installing future updates) - disconnect USB devices ( I even unplug USB Bluetooth keyboards and mouse) and the HDMI cable if you use an external monitor). That way if they are updating the way things interact with USB ports, the kernel, etc - you are less likely to have issues.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Update over Windows Updates, file may be better optimised for your system.

Do you watch videos on YouTube, Netflix or other Streaming services? They use GBs of data compared to WU
Everything you mentioned doesn't use my full speed and even if it did it would not matter because that entertains me at the time i watch. On the other hand Windows updates it's something boring i have no interest at that decides to use my full speed like it's the end of the world if i get this update 10 minutes later.
I would not mind windows updates size if i could limit the download speed but MS doesn't even let me do that.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Everything you mentioned doesn't use my full speed and even if it did it would not matter because that entertains me at the time i watch. On the other hand Windows updates it's something boring i have no interest at that decides to use my full speed like it's the end of the world if i get this update 10 minutes later.
I would not mind windows updates size if i could limit the download speed but MS doesn't even let me do that.
Watch your movie while it's downloading an update, that will choke it because the movie will be
front "foreground" and the update will be "background" ;) there's always a way brother

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Watch your movie while it's downloading an update, that will choke it because the movie will be
front "foreground" and the update will be "background" ;) there's always a way brother
Doesn't do it for me. Even if i have the update in the background and i try to do anything it still downloads at full speed.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
thx for this tip guys ! ....just updated my 3 machines (W7 and w8.1): everything seems to work fine ...no probs after this updates.

EDIT:
...this sounds horrible:
Microsoft Graphics Component fixing vulnerabilities that can be exploited when a malicious webpage is loaded, causing the Windows Animation Manager to improperly handle objects in memory. A successful attack allows hackers to install programs, view and delete data or even create new accounts with administrator rights.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.