Troubleshoot Paul.DLL error when trying to launch Sims via Origin

ravenosky

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 15, 2014
I have tried asking for help with this issue on EA's Answer HQ and no one there could help me fix this issue in the past. And don't even get me started on how helpful their Live support is.

When ever I try to run digital copies of any Sims games, it crashes before the launcher even appears on my desktop. This is an error with the paul.dll file that is included with the games. No one can give me any real help or advice that actually works, and since this is an issue with a dll file I thought I would ask here. How can I fix this issue so I can finally play Sims again? Thanks.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Hey,

I'm not familiar specifically with the Sims games (well, I've only ever played the first one on console) but what I can do is try to troubleshoot this from a technical point of view for you (one of the few things I am good at).

Ok, so the first step and probably something you've been asked to do time and time again, is to get a DxDiag log, you can do this by going to the start menu, going to run and typing in "dxdiag", then press OK or the enter key and when the program opens click "Save All Information", save the file to your desktop and then attach it to this thread.

It would also help me if you could post the full text of the error, for example does it just say there is an error in "paul.dll" or does it say something more detailed like "Error 2091A occurred at offset 0x0001bf3a in paul.dll" etc. These additional error codes can help me to narrow down exactly what is going on.

Finally I have to ask, have you tried doing a full reset of the Sims?
These are the instructions for The Sims 3, I don't know which version you're using, would be useful to know :)

http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/FAQ-Troubleshooting-Steps/td-p/714

Reactions: ravenosky
Upvote 0

ravenosky

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 15, 2014
I would like to first thank you for answering me.
Here is my DXDiag, I hope you don't mind me uploading it as a file?

I have tried the reset before. I just installed the game on this laptop and have not even been able to play it since it crashes before I even see it load up on my desktop. I click either Play in origin or double click the icon on my desktop, my mouse does the circle loading thing then stops, the launcher never loads at all. I just got the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection since EA is letting fans get it for free via Origin til the 31st, I never completed my collection of Sims 2 and this was my chance to get all EPs and SPs. This is not just with Sims 2, the same thing happens with Sims 3, and only with the digital copies downloaded and installed through Origin. I only chose to go with the digital copy because I no longer have my physical copies of the games.

I copied the error report from my last attempt to launch the game.
I upload the error in two files, one with the copy of the general view of the error, the other with copy of the details.
Again I hope that uploading them as files helps. If you need me to copy and paste them into the thread here, please let me know.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    30.8 KB · Views: 628
  • eventerror-generalview.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 454
  • eventerror-details.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 618
Reactions: Cowpipe
Upvote 0

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Hi, After looking at everything you've showed me, I believe this is an issue to do with DRM (Digital Rights Management), in simple terms that is what Origin uses to stop you using the game on other computers and to keep track of your license etc.

The first thing to try is to reinstall Origin, if that doesn't work, I might have to take you through some more advanced troubleshooting if you don't mind? :)

Upvote 0

ravenosky

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 15, 2014
Yeah they used some security program from Sony that is known to cause issues like this in the past. I just installed Origin and don't believe that is the issue. Cause I have done this before, uninstalling, re-installing, etc, it is the same issue no matter what computer I try it on. And folks at EA know about the issue but still use that program and they don't seem to know or care how to fix the issue. So, any help you can give me I will greatly appreciate it please.

Upvote 0

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Yeah they used some security program from Sony that is known to cause issues like this in the past. I just installed Origin and don't believe that is the issue. Cause I have done this before, uninstalling, re-installing, etc, it is the same issue no matter what computer I try it on. And folks at EA know about the issue but still use that program and they don't seem to know or care how to fix the issue. So, any help you can give me I will greatly appreciate it please.

The actual error you're getting is what is known as "Integer Divide By Zero" which is basically a mathematical function which is impossible to calculate. So whenever this kind of function is encountered in a program (this could be by an error, or a deliberate way to stop the program), Windows shuts the process down.

It could also be an Access issue which is to do with memory.

Either way, this is most likely a very technical problem, possibly with the software itself that might be difficult for me to fix, short of making you a patch for paul.dll to bandage the error. I've done some research and it seems a lot of people are having the exact same issue like you say, so I'd like to investigate further. Is it possible for you to send me a copy of your paul.dll? I will analyse it and then I can check exactly where the error is occuring and hopefully tell you why, which will either enable us to fix it, or give you the ammunition to get EA to do something about it if I can't help for some reason (knowledge is power as they say and technical bug reports are the only ones taken seriously).

You can send this through PM if you're concerned about copyright issues or privacy etc

Upvote 0

ravenosky

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 15, 2014
Thanks. I know it is not a memory issue with my computer as I have played these games before when I had the physical discs with no problem at all, except when when the TS2 launcher would no longer launch the game, then all I did was by pass it by executing the actual game file. But bypassing the launcher does not even help. I will look for the paul.dll file. I appreciate your help in this all. It is nice to finally find someone who is willing to help. :D

Upvote 0

angellka666

Jul 30, 2014
just download this paul.dll file s2.pliki.info /22768/paul.dll and past in to folder (...)Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin worked for me! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Is this file safe and does it also work with TS3?

I would not recommend installing any .DLL file downloaded from the internet. Not only do you risk invalidating your software license but the file could have been modified to contain malware, viruses etc.

Upvote 0

ravenosky

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 15, 2014
I would not recommend installing any .DLL file downloaded from the internet. Not only do you risk invalidating your software license but the file could have been modified to contain malware, viruses etc.
Good thing I was leery then and did not download the file.

Upvote 0

ravenosky

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 15, 2014
I have not yet had success. EA can not help, they direct anyone with Securom issues to email Securom support. I have emailed them on different occasions and this is their default reply each time:

Hello.

Thank you for your e-mail.

Try to fixed issue by copying the paul.dll file from the dvd rom.

Please follow below steps to resolve your problem.

1. Make a copy of the original paul.dll located in the Binaries/Win32 folder
to your desktop ( Where windows operating system is install eg. C: or D: drive
of your hard-disk )..
2. Copy the paul.dll file from the dvd files (open to show documents)
3. Paste where the original paul.dll was
4. Copy and replace
5. Re-try playing

Please let us know your result.

I have emailed them more than once explaining that I do not have the DVDRom, just the digital download of the game. I also can not find the Binaries/Win32 location they reverence and I tell them I am running on Winows 7. I have tried to take the paul.dll file from the base game folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3\Game\Bin) and copy it to the Supernatural folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3 Supernatural\Game\Bin) cause I noticed there was no Paul.dll file in the Supernatural folder. It did not work so I navigated further into the base game folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\Packs\TS3EP07) and copied the paul.dll file from that location to the Supernatural location and that has not worked. I do not know what else to do. Is there a way someone can somehow translate these confusion copy-and-paste instructions I was given and some how help me fix the issue I am still having? Please and thank you.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.