Paul123's Config

Paul123

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
I have my windows O/S and data in separate physical drives. Create a full disk image regularly of my windows drive using Acronis, and copy any files on my data disk to an external drive. My regular backups have saved me a few times from Ransomware, since all Ive needed to do is restore the drive to a previous version. I normally backup the drive every-time I install new software. haven't had a malware or ransom attack for quite a while. used to use Lenovo's Rescue and Recover, which was very good, but it stopped working on my laptop and I wasn't able to get it working again. After moving to Windows 10 I dont think its available.

I use Peerblock, which although old and the lists not being updated regularly, I find still blocks a lot of nasty sites and software.

I also use SoftOrbits Privacy Protector 10 (paid) and Safer-Networking SpyBotAntiBeacon (free) to protect my privacy on Windows 10. SpyBotAntiBeacon is more comprehensive and better, but Privacy Protector does have some features which SpyBotAntiBeacon doesnt so used in conjunction you get more protection

Last edited:

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
It's recommended that you add a ondemand scanner to improve the protection offered by WD: Zemana anti-malware free can be a good addition.

It is better not to use two optimization apps at the same time.
You imagine: AVG cleans up the registry and then Glary cleans the registry previously already clean, two different algorithms that delete and modify registry keys, bad idea.

Paul123

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
It's recommended that you add a ondemand scanner to improve the protection offered by WD: Zemana anti-malware free can be a good addition.

It is better not to use two optimization apps at the same time.
You imagine: AVG cleans up the registry and then Glary cleans the registry previously already clean, two different algorithms that delete and modify registry keys, bad idea.

Never had any problems with them or their deletions. Ive had Tune Up utilities (various versions) for a number of years and found it good. Only recently tried Glary Utilities, and that's because since AVG took over Tuneup Ive had some bad issues with it. Firstly TuneUp opens and pops up adverts in my browser when I'm not using the computer for a while, offering me AVG products (something I dont expect or want in a paid product), secondly I bought the license from Amazon directly and downloaded from my Amazon library (so pretty reputable source), despite this and it installing and activating, when I contacted AVG support they accused me of having a pirated license, and refused to help, then at the end of the call had the cheek to offer me a license a 'reduced' cost. I still like the product, but I wont upgrade in future because of this. I know a lot of people say registry cleaners are a waste of time, but Ive used Tuneup regularly and I've had very few system errors, my laptop is very stable. Tuneup has a lot of other features besides just registry cleaning, and its those I really use nowdays, like disabling startup items, and cleaning up browser and temp folders

I'll try Zemana AntiMalware, thanks for the suggestion

Last edited:

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Never had any problems with them or their deletions. Ive had Tune Up utilities (various versions) for a number of years and found it good. Only recently tried Glary Utilities, and that's because since AVG took over Tuneup Ive had some bad issues with it. Firstly it pops up adverts in my browser when I'm not using the computer for a while, offering me AVG products (something I dont expect or want in a paid product), secondly I bought the license from Amazon directly and downloaded from my Amazon library (so pretty reputable source), despite this and it installing and activating, when I contacted AVG support they accused me of having a pirated license, and refused to help, then at the end of the call had the cheek to offer me a license a 'reduced' cost. I still like the product, but I wont upgrade in future because of this. I know a lot of people say registry cleaners are a waste of time, but Ive used Tuneup regularly and I've had very few system errors, my laptop is very stable. Tuneup has a lot of other features besides just registry cleaning, and its those I really use nowdays, like disabling startup items, and cleaning up browser and temp folders

I'll try Zemana AntiMalware, thanks for the suggestion
What you say may be a good reason to get rid of AVG PC Tuneup.
I also have used Tuneup Utilities in the past and never a problem, but AVG is not Tuneup, it is just the bad copy of a legendary software.

F

ForgottenSeer 56325

You must add Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware Tool if you don't wanna be infected by ransom.
Also you can add Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free, and like @MalwareBlockerYT said you should add VodooShield.

Also you should have some other on demand scanners like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Zemana Anti-Malware and one of the most important in my opinion: Norton Power Eraser

Thanks for sharing your config btw:)

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Remove IOBit Driver Booster as well. You might as well use Snappy Driver Installer or google your HardwareIDs to get latest driver updates. Switching to MSA will secure your PC even further. Use suggestions posted by others as well. Thank you for sharing!.

Paul123

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
Thanks for all the advice. I installed Emsisoft and according to it my machines completely clean so that's good. Maybe getting rid of TuneUp is a good idea considering the browser popups - its a shame its a good product otherwise. I feel less confident in Glary Utilities as its a Chinese product, and I tend to avoid any software from China due to security and malware. Mind you my laptops from Lenovo and it's been perfect, never given any issues and runs smooth.

aragornnnn

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 18, 2016
Remove IOBit Driver Booster as well. You might as well use Snappy Driver Installer or google your HardwareIDs to get latest driver updates. Switching to MSA will secure your PC even further. Use suggestions posted by others as well. Thank you for sharing!.

I can confirm this, things can go completely wrong with this program

Reactions: frogboy and Vasudev

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Config looks good! Thanks for sharing it with us :)
Consider some on demand scanners such as Emsisoft Emergency Kit and Zemana Antimalware
CCleaner or Privazer are more than enough for system optimization and privacy.Having more than one of these other utilities,as @tim one said,is not a good idea.
Not a fan of Driver programs as all drivers can be obtained from the manufacturers site.
If you are comfortable with just Windows Defender,meaning experienced enough with good computer practices,than that is fine.
However there are also some good options,some free,to run alongside WD or in place of WD

Reactions: frogboy and tim one

Paul123

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
Now got Zemana Antimalware installed, and am impressed, thanks for the suggestion. Got 1 year licence to premium version as a giveaway so didn't even need to pay for it! That and winning Windscribe so now got VPN and I'm so gladI found this site to solve my security and privacy needs. Thankyou everyone for your advice.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.