• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
My question essentially is would you in 2017 (the Windows 10 era) rather pay for a VPN or A premium AV?

For me it is VPN, and it should also be noted that some of the VPN providers are now offering protection against malware sites and phishing sites at the server level.

Surfing the Internet without my ISP looking over my back for the first time in my life was a liberating experience.

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
unless you're living in a country where it's a privacy concern not running a VPN, no point in using one.
AV on the other hand..
I'm in the US and not doing anything illegal but the idea of my ISP having a record of everything I do online is repulsive.

Default security in Windows 10 offers me a satisfactory level of confidence for security and allows me to invest in a VPN that keeps NO record of my online activity and provides some security in the process. It should also be noted NordVPN which I'm using also blocks MT when CyberSec is enabled.

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
I would rather trust my isp not to snoop on me to much (or such things) than a lot of vpn services. If my isp is shady i could get a lawyer to sue them. Good look with a vpn in a foreign country with that. For trying to do really forbidden stuff better start looking for vpn with really no logging (if they exist and not just claim the won't log)
@Windows Defender Shill Don't forget to disable the win 10 services for data collection and stuff like that. O&O ShutUp10 does that for example.

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
VPN. I have a 5-year Windscribe subscription and keep it permanently connected to my two closest servers to avoid mandatory logging of my browsing history by my ISP and to avoid IP tracking by publishers & advertisers.

I refuse to pay for traditional AVs as the protection they afforded is essentially a dice roll.

Last edited:

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
i voted both. vpn = would be a requisite for a torrent user. anti-virus = paid is better to avoid the nags & cross selling.

My question essentially is would you in 2017 (the Windows 10 era)

may i ask what exactly you mean by the 2017 windows 10 era ?

VPN providers are now offering protection against malware sites and phishing sites at the server level

so you believe your computer can get intruded only via websites ?

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Both. If premium version of AV or anti-malware has some features that I find useful, I don't mind paying for those extra layers of protection .
I wouldn't trust a free VPN, to be honest.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I'm in the US
That's all you had to say lol
Try giving AirVPN a look seeing your in the US, some very fine members here turned me onto it and man oh man
am I glad I listened. Believe it or not recently my ISP said "hey are you using a vpn ?" I said yes I am to protect my
browsing sessions from shady data collection, but I know you guys would not do that to me right. He laughed and
explained how they monitor for VPN usage now here in the US. My ISP is owned by ViaSat.
If you live in the US, protect your data your ISP will sell it.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
That's all you had to say lol
Try giving AirVPN a look seeing your in the US, some very fine members here turned me onto it and man oh man
am I glad I listened. Believe it or not recently my ISP said "hey are you using a vpn ?" I said yes I am to protect my
browsing sessions from shady data collection, but I know you guys would not do that to me right. He laughed and
explained how they monitor for VPN usage now here in the US. My ISP is owned by ViaSat.
If you live in the US, protect your data your ISP will sell it.
Well, I'm not surprised. If people start using VPNs, they have nothing to sell. I'm actually surprised by the fact that your ISP identified you by using VPN and asked you about that.
In most countries in Europe you don't need VPN. Our ISPs said that they don't spy on users nor they are allowed to until police or court gives them explicit permission. If I were in US, I would definitely use VPN no matter how much lower speed I get. ;)

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
I would choose to pay for a vpn. Stacksocial very often has sweet deals for lifetime subscriptions. There are some very good free antivirus products and free firewalls out there , so I see no point in paying for those. ;)

Reactions: ElectricSheep

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Why you wanna pay for VPN when you can use tor via open VPN?!also its secure and more than enough
Open VPN---TOR -- DNS crypt works like charm for free!
Buy Kaspersky internet security :p

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
You must not use a free vpn. They are unsecure, sell your data, have slow speeds, have ##### security, and most of them have the NSA looking over thier sholdiers.
However, there is free security software that does not intrude on your privacy too much if at all. I would pay for both, but if I had to chose one, definately pay for your VPN.

Reactions: johnyjohn

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.