Troubleshoot PC becomes snail

suma

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 18, 2013
Few month ego setup a new pc as my budget . but few days later it frequent hangup, freeze and unusable till restart.

Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 955
Deneb 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0 (Socket M2)
Graphics
HP LE2002x (1600x900@60Hz)
1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 210 (ZOTAC International)

others:
kaspersky Internet security 2017
Zamana Antimalware (pro)
Sandboxie

Browser:
Chrome, Mozila

When log in Facebook PC becomes snail. Or Cant able to run more than two application side by side, Memory consumption are always too high.

suma

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 18, 2013
ss.JPG

Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0 (Socket M2)
Ok, lookup what memory your MoBo calls for, on its site it will list the memory that works best for it, DDR3 may not be what it requires.
also check and make sure your pafefile is on and virtual memory, try increasing your virtual memory size.

Reactions: LASER_oneXM
Upvote 0

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
When PCs become randomly unstable, this is our procedure:
  1. clean/dust the inside of your pc (mandatory if full with dust) and then close all case covers/sides (not the vents/grids/fans) of your PC before proceeding
  2. attach your pc to an UPS with AVR
  3. check memory modules (let it run 3 full passes) with: Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
  4. check the hard drives, each manufacturer has its diagnostics software, use the one that your hdd brand provides (they all have bootable ISOs)
  5. if no errors, update BIOS
  6. detach PC from UPS
  7. check the memory again (3 pass) with memtest86
  8. put in a temporary hdd and clean install windows and drivers; do not install anything else
  9. install a monitoring software like HWiNFO - Hardware Information, Analysis and Monitoring Tools, and monitor hardware parameters while performing the next steps
  10. install a stress test app, you can use any of these: 10 Stress Test Tools to Determine the Stability of Your Computer • Raymond.CC
  11. if freezes or other errors, replace PSU with a more powerful one (or, check the specific errors of step 10- which test failed - and try to determine from there what could be the problem, but still proceed with step 12 no matter the results)
  12. stress test again (step 10) after PSU replacement
I'm aware that some of the above may not be handy, but it's necessary for a correct diagnostics. Might also take you all day, but this is how it's done (we found this exact procedure to be the most accurate).
You can skip the UPS part (be careful not to unplug your PC in the middle of the BIOS upgrade), but if you still have issues up until point 11, a temporary PSU replacement is necessary to perform step 10.

Good luck!

Update 1: If you only have problems with the browser, try Cent browser. It has way better memory optimization.
Update 2: i added/replaced step 1; IT departments at corporations have this on a scheduled basis so might not be necessary, but home users don't always do this
Update 3: as a statistic, we replace more PSUs than any other PC components; we sometimes skip everything else and proceed with the PSU replacement directly (depends on the symptoms)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Upvote 0

suma

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 18, 2013
Which full scan? antivirus or chkdsk?

Time difference between your post and mine is about 2 minutes. Can't do a CHKDSK /f /r that quick.

I did CHKDSK/f/r and hard disk work pefectly without any error.. After login facebook browser freze and crashed. and machine becomes snail.

Reactions: LASER_oneXM
Upvote 0

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
View attachment 145641

this is what that I want to ask for.. Crome browser crashed due to memory consumption facebook.

Exactly what background processes consuming that much CPU cycles ?? Something is constantly running in the background. If you were newly setup Windows 7 then the OS may be processing or installing windows update in the background. Since Windows 7 is a pretty old OS (2009) it will take a long time to setup windows updates of all these years especially on a rather old Phenom II CPU. No need to worry if that is the case let the system run a full night undisturbed, next morning your PC will be ready for use.

Upvote 0

suma

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 18, 2013
How to define a good compatible RAM which give maximum performance as my Mother board.

Upvote 0

TobyCortez

Oct 19, 2016
I did CHKDSK/f/r and hard disk work pefectly without any error.. After login facebook browser freze and crashed. and machine becomes snail.

You should learn Facebook Lite for PCs, laptops. This is a standalone application and you should delete all data related to Facebook original. First go to Google to find out, if not effective ask me again

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.