Troubleshoot PC Died-Fans/lights run-no connections run

Alexdr

Level 1
Thread author
May 15, 2017
This is a different PC from the one in my other thread.
The issue is as follows, the PC was fine a few years ago, however, at one point I remember thinking one of the RAM slots was messed up so I re-arranged my 3 2GB sticks in the 4 slots. It worked. Flash-forward a few years later. I come home, run the PC, it works fine for a bit, but then it would at times shut off randomly and give me a beep code. I think it was four (du du du du, du du du du, ...) which would be a RAM read/write failure. Well, I could always turn it back on and, as long as I didn't overuse the machine, it would last quite a bit before erroring out (i.e. it wasn't such a big deal. Memory can be broken and as long as you don't try to access it it's fine). However, it happened again today, so I though to remove a stick of RAM because I found it odd "could it be that two of my slots are messed up, or are two RAM sticks messed up, or have these all finally died?". Having 4 GB I ran it again, it works as long as it does, but then something happens. I get BSOD (the screen was really messed up too, but that may have been due to having flux installed. I.e., I had artifacts here and there). Sadly, I didn't have time to read it. After that, without touching anything, I just try to turn back on the PC. The monitor screen says no HDMI connected when it clearly is, I then manually go through the monitor settings to VGA, says no VGA connected. At times it would say there is no data coming it (i.e. it gets that the cable is connected but doesn't treat it as such because no signal is actually coming through). Thus, my monitor enters powersave mode/orange light & off mode. I then thought, OK, is it the OS or is it the monitor? Since I have TrueCrypt I thought to just smash at the keyboard until I type too long of a password so it gives a loud beep. That would at least tell me it's loaded. However, I then noticed that the numlocks key/etc. wouldn't light up. I.e., it seemed that all connections weren't doing anything. I then tried turn off the PC, unplug it, press power to drain, re-plug, turn on to see if that fixes it. It didn't. I also tried removing the CMOS and putting it back in. Oddly enough, doing that at least made the fans go faster than they did prior (or at least more buzzing noise).
I honestly don't know what's going on, especially because I missed the BSOD error name.
I would've thought it's something with the VGA, but then the keyboard also didn't work. Since all connections didn't work I thought motherboard or PSU, but that would amaze me (because usually my issues have been with RAM) and I wouldn't know how to fix it. (I also thought it could've been a video card error, but, again, the keyboard not working in any USB port made me dismiss that).
Thanks for any help. Honestly, when all your PCs with password managers die at the same time, it's difficult to have to restart everything.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
You could go to a pawnshop and buy a 560 for about 20 to 30 bucks, start testing the slots and boards so
you know what you need. If it was me I would trash it and pick up a cheap replacement from that same
pawnshop ;)
From what you describe there could be countless connection errors due to age, corrosion, dust, ect.
The cause may even be bad wires at that age, or a combo of all of the above.
Unless your totally in love with that particular 560, replace it and breathe a sigh of relief ?

Reactions: SHvFl
Upvote 0

Alexdr

Level 1
Thread author
May 15, 2017
replace it and breathe a sigh of relief ?
It's more so I want access to my password storage that is on that computer (and on my other one referenced in the other thread that is currently decrypting). I plan to try and pick up a SATA to USB capable and get my stuff like that. After that's done, yes, I'll probably get a new computer. It's just for something to die on you is quite strange.

@SHvFI
I know, I believe I stated what the beeps meant in the initial post. What did forget to mention however is that the beeping (i.e. ram failure stuff) does not occur at present. It's just "turn on the PC, fans turn on, lights on the tower are on, but screen/keyboard do nothing/receive no signal".

Upvote 0

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
It's more so I want access to my password storage that is on that computer (and on my other one referenced in the other thread that is currently decrypting). I plan to try and pick up a SATA to USB capable and get my stuff like that. After that's done, yes, I'll probably get a new computer. It's just for something to die on you is quite strange.

@SHvFI
I know, I believe I stated what the beeps meant in the initial post. What did forget to mention however is that the beeping (i.e. ram failure stuff) does not occur at present. It's just "turn on the PC, fans turn on, lights on the tower are on, but screen/keyboard do nothing/receive no signal".
Then it should be motherboard mate. It's not easy to figure out this issues so if beeps don't help everyone will say motherboard :p

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_
Upvote 0

Alexdr

Level 1
Thread author
May 15, 2017
True, I am feeling that too. However, replacing a motherboard feels like replacing a whole PC, so, I'll probably just get a new one (Or just set up a NAS and use laptops). Thank you all for your help, I'll probably keep the PC, and should I ever have the time/money to waste on a motherboard, I'll see if I can fix it.
If anyone has ideas besides motherboard, feel free to chime it, however, if no one does, this thread is effectively done.
(Although I'm surprised things just up and die like that. Since the whole serial bus goes through the motherboard [I think], is there a reason why the power light and fans would still work despite the motherboard messing up?).

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
True, I am feeling that too. However, replacing a motherboard feels like replacing a whole PC, so, I'll probably just get a new one (Or just set up a NAS and use laptops). Thank you all for your help, I'll probably keep the PC, and should I ever have the time/money to waste on a motherboard, I'll see if I can fix it.
If anyone has ideas besides motherboard, feel free to chime it, however, if no one does, this thread is effectively done.
(Although I'm surprised things just up and die like that. Since the whole serial bus goes through the motherboard [I think], is there a reason why the power light and fans would still work despite the motherboard messing up?).
Mobos, when they die, they die instantly. It's not like a hard drive that slowly deteriorates. Often the mobo can still receive power, so your lights and fans will give the illusion of life.
But it's sort of like in a deep coma with brain death. It's non-functional, because some of the tiny circuits are broken.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.