Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Softpedia said:
For whatever reason, worldwide shipments of personal computers, be they desktops, notebooks or all-in-one systems, are falling much more quickly than anyone expected.

The International Data Corporation (IDC) estimates that 89.8 million PCs were shipped during the fourth quarter of 2012.

The number is 6.4% lower than Q4 2011, much like how overall 2012 numbers were 3.2% below those of two years ago.

Even now, Windows 8 continues to have a minimal effect on the industry, if it even has one.

Then again, people have been getting tablets these past two years, and if those devices prove to have any sort of future proofing (the ability to run new apps and tasks well even years down the line), the market may settle.

Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/PC-Sales-Falling-Faster-Than-Anyone-Expected-320389.shtml

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Most of the people are using the Internet to watch videos,search for different articles, online shopping and other similar stuff so it's easy to understand why the majority of us will choose a tablet over a desktop pc or laptop.

Case in point, my girlfriend who had to chose between a new laptop (she didn't even want to hear about a desktop as she didn't find a good use it it.) or a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1...... Let me tell you that it was a quick decision,and now she is the proud owner of a Galaxy tablet... So -1 for PC's.

PS. Galaxy Note 10.1 is a really great and powerful tablet! Really cool piece of hardware!

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
My vote goes for desktop; better performance/$, components are selected by preference, lowering the cost of upgrade the hardware. My 17.3inch laptop is a desktop-replacement, plugged all the time, battery at 40% and stationed to be on the desk.

There are many reasons why a desktop/laptop/Tablet should be selected. It comes down to personal preferences.

I

illumination

Although i feel the same as Valentine N about desktops, i am on the go a lot, and portable suits me better, so i went with the laptop..

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Laptop. I can't sit on the bed with a Desktop.

Imagine that. I'm creasing!!

U69vy.jpg

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Has to be a desktop, reason is, if something screws up you have a higher chance of fixing in a Desktop than a Laptop.

softwareFREEk

Level 1
Verified
Dec 27, 2012
Valentin N said:
My vote goes for desktop; better performance/$, components are selected by preference, lowering the cost of upgrade the hardware. My 17.3inch laptop is a desktop-replacement, plugged all the time, battery at 40% and stationed to be on the desk.

There are many reasons why a desktop/laptop/Tablet should be selected. It comes down to personal preferences.

McLovin said:
Has to be a desktop, reason is, if something screws up you have a higher chance of fixing in a Desktop than a Laptop.

DITTO!!! exactly the same in my choice :biggrin:

D

Deleted member 178

Laptops all the way for me, now they can do as much as desktop Pc, with lower performance of course, but still powerful enough.

Tablets are convenient for surfer/social users but not if you need to do advanced tasks.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I do like the convenience of a Laptop or Notebook, but I still prefer Desktops because they tend to have a much longer life. I have some old Desktops from 1998 which still will work even though are mostly unable to be upgraded to new components. Laptops and Notebooks usually don't last as long because they are mobile, they get dropped and banged around more than Desktops. Laptops and Notebooks also get lost and stolen more often, I would hate to loose all of my personal info because my Laptop got lost or stolen. Desktops are more easy to upgrade and repair, in my area there is no computer shops that even work on Laptops or Notebooks they send them off to get repairs which can take months.

I rather have something that I can repair myself.

Thanks.:D

D

Deleted member 178

yes Laptop are hell to fix, either the keyboard, battery, but they are very convenient, especially for me, i like to use my laptop in a wifi-equiped coffee shop :D

Alien

Verified
Jan 5, 2013
Although i agree to many points in favor of desktop posted above, my vote goes for laptop. Portability is the main reason and laptops now are powerful enough.

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
Laptops aren't generally all that great for gaming. Even if they have the hardware, they tend to run a lot hotter. That and it's extremely difficult to upgrade beside the RAM. Tablets by their very nature are not all that useful. Less portable than a smartphone, not as powerful as a laptop or a netbook. Maybe that will change in the future, but for now I don't need anything other than my smartphone and my PC.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Littlebits said:
I do like the convenience of a Laptop or Notebook, but I still prefer Desktops because they tend to have a much longer life. I have some old Desktops from 1998 which still will work even though are mostly unable to be upgraded to new components. Laptops and Notebooks usually don't last as long because they are mobile, they get dropped and banged around more than Desktops. Laptops and Notebooks also get lost and stolen more often, I would hate to loose all of my personal info because my Laptop got lost or stolen. Desktops are more easy to upgrade and repair, in my area there is no computer shops that even work on Laptops or Notebooks they send them off to get repairs which can take months.

I rather have something that I can repair myself.

Thanks.:D

If the device is not owned by WALT expect it to live a few decades more. :D

I would prefer a full functional tablet (Surface Pro, Ativ Smart PC, etc) or a laptop. But Littlebits have mentioned a good reason for me not to get one. :p

They are portable, easily carried around and to use them in bed. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.