Expired pCloud Storage + Crypto Lifetime

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee that all promo codes will remain active. Some offers have a short validation period and expire.

Promo page
https://www.pcloud.com/cyber-monday
How to get a license
[LIST=1]
[*]This a limited-time promotional campaign, organized and run by pCloud AG, which ends on 30.11.2018.
[*]This promotion gives users the opportunity to receive lifetime access to pCloud's additional client-side encryption service, free of charge when purchasing pCloud Premium Lifetime or pCloud Premium Plus Lifetime.
[*]In order to participate in the promotion, you must sign up for a pCloud account or log into a pCloud account through this promotional page.
[*]The offer cannot be combined with other currently ongoing promotions or active discounts.
[*]We have defined a lifetime account as 99 years or the lifetime of the account holder, whichever is shorter.
[*]If you cancel your Lifetime membership and decide to renew it later on, you will no longer be able to take advantage of this promotion.
[*]Participants can take advantage of the promotion only once. No plan transfers between accounts are allowed.
[*]By participating in the promotion, you agree to pCloud’s general [URL='https://www.pcloud.com/terms_and_conditions.html']Terms of service.[/URL]
[*]Money-back guarantee is allowed only within the first 10 days, following the date of purchase. After this period expires, accounts are not subject to any payment refunds.
[*]pCloud AG at all times reserves the right, at sole discretion, to deny promotion participation and promotional prices to any individual.
[*]pCloud AG has the right to change these terms and conditions at any point in time.
[*]To the extent that these conditions do not cover certain situations, pCloud AG will decide upon a solution.
[/LIST]

Dark Knight

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
What you say is true up to a point. However, what happens if your house burns down, or if your My Cloud device malfunctions or is somehow subject to a ransomware attack ?

Every time I point this out someone throws that at me, the answer is redundancy, if anything is important enough to anyone, redundancy is always the answer. First, I don't live nor would I ever live in an area prone to floods so that is not even an issue. As far as fire, ransomware or HDD malfunction goes I have an extra 4TB HDD that is backed up with the utmost important stuff I cannot lose all on that drive and it gets locked in a fireproof safe.

So far, fingers crossed, no fire, no ransomware attacks no HDD failure, the drive is encrypted, and yes, I can sync my smartphone with My Cloud.

But let me ask you, a cloud service is nothing more than a hard drive farm, what happens to my data in the event that that the hard drive farm is wiped out by flood, fire, explosion or some other disaster? is the safety or redundancy of my data guaranteed? I don't think it would be as no one can ever guarantee that. So tell me what the difference is?

I don't need to pay a cloud service for something I can do myself, the chance of data loss or theft is probably a roll of the dice no matter which way you go but if I was a betting man I would think my data is more prone to theft on a service than if stored locally.

I am just saying, cloud services are an intangible service, you are just as likely to lose your data with them as you would yourself, like I said, the secret is redundancy, never put your eggs all in one basket. If the Apocalypse happened tomorrow, no one is connecting to any cloud service and everyone's data is gone but I will still have mine in the hopes of finding a tablet or smartphone with a charge ;) ...... if I survive it :0)

@crezz
Does MyCloud enable synchronisation in the same way as Pcloud ?
Don't know if synchronization is the same as I have never used pcloud but yes I can sync my pc's and smartphone to My Cloud.

@ForgottenSeer 58943
MyCloud is super buggy and generally has been compromised. So we probably shouldn't talk about MyCloud and security in the same sentence. :)
I am not talking about My Cloud the cloud service, I am talking about My Cloud the Western Digital External Hard Drive.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I am not talking about My Cloud the cloud service, I am talking about My Cloud the Western Digital External Hard Drive.

Both pretty much crap. The software that runs the MyCloud NAS is atrocious, buggy and often compromised.

Anyway the key to a reliable cloud with high quality apps is generally for the purpose of automatic backup of mobile devices in the event of failure/loss/damage/acts of god. That's the only major reason I use cloud backup services. I tightly control what is backed up, limiting it to the DCIM directory on devices simply because I cannot manage 2,000+ photos on 5 different phones for the house, cloud services do this for me.

I used to try to manage it. Each month downloading the photos to my NAS. But anyone that has plugged a phone into a PC in recent times knows how much of a headache that is - it's way too time consuming to do it every month on 5 devices when it can be entirely automated and done in real-time as photos are taken.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Cloud storage is good only if your internet connection is quite fast and has unlimited data available. As my data connection is really slow, so cloud storage for me is like keeping files in archive . I use some free ones, 50 GB or so from promotions. And because its free it doesn't hurts. :D

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
I'm currently using MEGA because I like it. I don't remember why I left pCloud but I think it was good.
MEGA is good for me. I encrypt everything important with 7zip, so kinda secure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al-Faqir

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Cloud storage is good only if your internet connection is quite fast and has unlimited data available. As my data connection is really slow, so cloud storage for me is like keeping files in archive . I use some free ones, 50 GB or so from promotions. And because its free it doesn't hurts. :D

First time it took 3 days to upload it all, but now it's few minutes for new data. I only have 10 mbits upload.

Reactions: Al-Faqir

Dark Knight

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I just tried the free version not that long ago, don't know how it is for paid users but the free version sucks, upload speeds are very slow and if you try and upload multiple files at once it freezes your browser up, but i guess, what do you expect for nothing right? Nice tactic to try and get people to pay for the service though but I just didn't fall off the back of a turnip truck yesterday.

Free has no crypto at all, so if you use it make sure you encrypt your own files before upload.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Personally I've always found that the pCloud software works very smoothly. They are a good company.

Their standard approach is to store the data in an encrypted format on their servers- but it is not encrypted BEFORE it leaves your device. To be fair, I think this is exactly the same as most other cloud providers such as Dropbox.

If pCloud wanted to stand out from their competitors then they should consider providing client-side encryption as standard- especially for their lifetime account holders. There would be no additional cost to them as the crypto option is just software which they already have. Its more convenient for a user to have the crypto option- but I certainly won't be paying for it when alteratives like 7-zip are available. The crypto folder isn't cheap either- so the other option is to move to a cloud provider that includes client-side encryption as standard.

I wouldn't upload anything too sensitive into the cloud (especially if its not encrypted before it leaves my device). If someone hacks my photos and word documents then its no big deal.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

PCloud support has been great. They credited me back the overage.

All 5 phones synced up their DCIM directories extremely quickly - what would have taken Sync.com DAYS took only an hour. Largely because PCLOUD isn't throttled, and I have a 1000Mbps connection. Sync used to be much better, more reliable and have better support. Now they stink.. Buggy app, slow speeds and rude support. For example I just tried to get a refund on it for my renewal and was told I am 8 days outside of the refund people. They won't even pro-rate it. So that's the last renewal they will ever see from me.

As for encryption, there are a multitude of tools out there that auto-encrypt for third party cloud services so that's no big deal. From what I can see PCLOUD serves you files over HTTPS which is good, then encrypts them at-rest on their servers. Anyone concerned can just pre-encrypt or use one of the softwares available to encrypt cloud drives automatically.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.