Click on the English Report download.

Reactions: Jack

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Interesting report on power consumption,CPU and Ram usage among others,with a few interesting players,some of which I have never heard of.

Reactions: Venustus

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I am reading it now and it seems that they conduct the test thoroughly but...
I would really want to know how BitDefender and Kaspersky are lighter than ESET? :confused:

Reactions: Venustus

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I am reading it now and it seems that they conduct the test thoroughly but...
I would really want to know how BitDefender and Kaspersky are lighter than ESET? :confused:

This has always baffled me too!!:confused:
I have always found Eset to be much lighter than KIS and BD!

Av Comparitives tested it as being heavier:eek:

qq-nlvtbyfjutjesmzygtbn.jpg

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I know, my experience says that Webroot, Eset and somewhat Avast are the lightest AV's, people (all of them) who were using BD, KIS, AVG and later come to ESET, by my recommendation, said, If I may quote : "I CAN BREATHE NOW".
I know these tests are combining power consumption, ram usage, processor usage, but objective opinion of human observation cannot be measured by any machine, IMHO.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Just like pretty much anything else I guess it depends on your system

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Yes, because of that fact I always tell people to try some AV for some time and to estimate how that AV behaves on that machine.
But this test result is contrary to everything I learned through all these years playing with AV's...

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
This has always baffled me too!!:confused:
I have always found Eset to be much lighter than KIS and BD!

Av Comparitives tested it as being heavier:eek:

qq-nlvtbyfjutjesmzygtbn.jpg

It is because testing and benchmarks sites test for resource usage (RAM & CPU), they don't test system response time.
RAM & CPU used to be the best way to tell how light a software would run on a system but now starting with Windows Vista and up, RAM & CPU doesn't show accurate results since newer Windows OS handle resource usage differently.

The best way to test for yourself is to ignore system resource usage, after you install the software and run your usual programs and tasks you can tell how much response time is used, when your system pauses when you click to start a new program or task and reboot Windows you will be able to tell how light that software will run on your system. The last time I tested this, ESET was much lighter than BitDefender and Kaspersky in terms of system response time.

If you are switching software to test you need to make sure to completely remove the previous product with their removal tool before installing another product to test. Products not properly uninstalled will kill your system response time.

RAM & CPU usage is no longer important unless you are still using Windows XP or older.

Thanks. :D

Stubbornest

Level 1
Verified
Jan 3, 2014
13.4% - 17.5% memory usage on a 8GB RAM PC!

With 8GB RAM, a Win7 x64 OS leaves 7.6GB available. 7782.4GB RAM.
That's from 1042MB - 1361MB of RAM eaten up by a couple of safety nets.

This is a joke right?

How far off can Windows Task Manager be?
Were they using WTM?
I know that WTM usually gets confused by .NET programs regarding RAM usage.
(It just stupidly shows the usage of all separate smaller processes which make up one .NET program. Although they all share one and the same reserved memory pool. And on top off that they only have that memory reserved, but possibly not actually demanded and in use.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.