Troubleshoot PDF won't let me highlight; any solutions, software or otherwise?

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Ordinarily I like to use the highlight feature on a PDF to mark the important parts in yellow. I have downloaded a PDF that for whatever reason is made resistant to this kind of personal marking. What exactly is the nature of this PDF "protection"?

I suppose I could convert to another format and maybe that resistance would be gone when I converted back to PDF. But I'd like to know first if there is something I could do directly to the PDF in view without having to convert.

Computer: DELL Dimension 2400
CPU: Intel Pentium 4-2667 (Northwood, D1)
2666 MHz (20.00x133.3) @ 2658 MHz (20.00x132.9)
Motherboard: DELL 0G1548
Chipset: Intel 845GEV (Brookdale-GEV) + ICH4
Memory: 2048 MBytes @ 166 MHz, 2.5-3-3-7
- 1024 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K
- 1024 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K
Graphics: Intel 82845G/GL/GV Graphics Controller [DELL]
Intel i845G(L) Integrated, 64 MB
Drive: WL120GPA872, 117.2 GB, E-IDE (ATA-7)
Drive: WDC WD2500JB-57GVC0, 244.2 GB, E-IDE (ATA-6)
Drive: HGST HTS545050A7E380, 488.4 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s <-> USB
Drive: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S, CD-R Writer
Sound: Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-1]
Sound: Creative Technology SB Live! Series Audio Processor
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC [A/B/C]
Network: Broadcom 4401 10/100 Integrated Controller
Antivirus: Panda Antivirus Pro 17.0.1
Firewall: Panda Antivirus Pro 17.0.1
Ad Blocker: Adguard, Ad Muncher, Adblock Plus
Default Browser: Maxthon 4.4.8.1000

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
You need to look to that specific file properties, and see if you are allowed to do it. With Adobe Reader, we have info about it.

Or use: https://www.xpdfreader.com/dl/xpdf-tools-win-4.00.zip through cmd.exe

Xpdf - PDFinfo - Command Line Utility to Retrieve Page Count and Other Information from PDF Files - Online Training Video

kC2WF22.png

But sometime is intended to not allow you change anything, happen to me for Medical Signed documents or other things,
the scope of remove protection, or other things, can't be discussed here, unless I am wrong. :)

You can also use pdfinfo -meta "Brandon's Guide to RS3.pdf" to know more info, or follow the help guidelines.

I also use the Nitro as said by CyberGhost, and find it very good, just try to see if you are allowed to do modifications, "sometime=always" the copyright holder add protection, as highliting is intended as modify, you may not be allowed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Yeah, I see your point, and I won't elaborate on how to bypass that type of protection, and for obvious reasons.
You can highlight like you want with Nitro, its all I use, started using Pro for work and free for home, I have
now moved my key to home seeing I am now retired. Best PDF software I have ever used and 2x the security other
PDF software providers offer. Good luck and keep us in the loop. PeAcE

Upvote 0

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I tested also Foxit, but don't like. I use Sumatra PDF as reader, and also Adobe Acrobat DC for some work, like Nitro PDF and Infix PDF.
I removed Foxit, cause of confict with HMPA, but calling conflict is not so much right. Nitro ok. (y)

My preferred viewer are on Linux or Mac, and are the ones preinstalled, found them amazing!

Upvote 0

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Thanks gentlemen. Unfortunately Nitro just stinks on my computer. I suppose it's an XP thing. I have tried three times to bring up the PDF with Nitro, and all I get is "Not responding." I don't get that with the other programs I've tried.

I have tried to highlight it with Foxit, PDF X-Change Viewer, and PDF X-Change Editor.

You need to look to that specific file properties, and see if you are allowed to do it. With Adobe Reader, we have info about it.

I got rid of Adobe Reader some time ago because of the vulnerabilities and its slowness on my system.

I'm not real good with command line. Anything of that sort with a regular GUI?

The PDF I have in view is not public records, it's just a history article, and I want to highlight it for my own use, not for reposting online.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
I tested also Foxit, but don't like. I use Sumatra PDF as reader, and also Adobe Acrobat DC for some work, like Nitro PDF and Infix PDF.
I removed Foxit, cause of confict with HMPA, but calling conflict is not so much right. Nitro ok. (y)

My preferred viewer are on Linux or Mac, and are the ones preinstalled, found them amazing!

I use too Sumatra PDF, not brainer, best.

Reactions: lowdetection
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.