BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Pear-OS-Is-No-Longer-Available-for-Download.png

We are extremly sorry to inform all users of the Pear OS Linux operating system that David Tavares, the creator of Pear OS, has announced a few minutes ago on Goolge+ that the Pear OS distribution will no longer be available for download.

Appearently, Mr. Tavares sold the Pear OS distribution to an undisclosed company that will develop the Linux-based operating system for their own products. All the download links have been removed from the official website, which is no longer active. The following message is displayed istead:

"Its future is now in hands of a company who wants to remain anonymous for the moment. The concept has pleased them it and now wants to continue and improve the system for their own products. I can not give a name but it is a very large company well known."

"I want to thank all users, moderators and other developers who have made Pear OS it is today, that without this adventure would not have been possible. I'm going in another direction. Another big thank you to all and I hope to return to the scene of open source very quickly. Cordially, David."

Reactions: Venustus and tapoo

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
that's the problem with linux, some days ago OS4 [XFCE based] distro was also shut down...
looks like we have to rely on only big distribution companies :(

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
^^ never really used PearOS, but dont like shutting down of distro's :( yes, there is always Mint :cool:

Reactions: BoraMurdar

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
I used Pear OS then and again. I actually liked it a lot. It had a few glitches but it ran smoothly. It's a shame that.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
And yet Linux Mint is always around, old reliable. I mess around with a few distros but Mint is my main OS, even above OS X. Sad news about Pear but it happens all the time. Hey, maybe Apple have purchased it so they can integrate some of it's UI elements into OS X lol.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
And yet Linux Mint is always around, old reliable. I mess around with a few distros but Mint is my main OS, even above OS X. Sad news about Pear but it happens all the time. Hey, maybe Apple have purchased it so they can integrate some of it's UI elements into OS X lol.
Like they taken GUI from Fedora :D lol

Reactions: ZeroDay

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The question is Who?
"The concept has pleased them it and now wants to continue and improve the system for their own products. I can not give a name but it is a very large company well known."

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
maybe Microsoft bought them, because they are going to launch Windows 9 in 2015, and they need some new idea !!!!

Microsoft surely fits in very large company tag, and from past interviews we know they hate linux, so maybe that's why they didn't let PearOS announce buyers name...

Reactions: ZeroDay
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.