Troubleshoot Pen drive shortcut problem

ayan4u

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 22, 2012
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
A shortcut icon in the pendrive is appearing automatically as soon it is plugged in
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Tried cmd method ,usbfix,no help
A shortcut icon for the pendrive items is appearing automatically in it as soon it is plugged in...i have tried the cmd method but appeared after restart and usbfix app is asking for update even for the latest version o_O ... i'm trying to install win 7 from usb but pendrive reading is failing because of this ....any help !?!

Using Win XP...

Khairul

Level 2
Verified
Feb 3, 2015
A shortcut icon for the pendrive items is appearing automatically in it as soon it is plugged in...i have tried the cmd method but appeared after restart and usbfix app is asking for update even for the latest version o_O ... i'm trying to install win 7 from usb but pendrive reading is failing because of this ....any help !?!

Using Win XP...

Hi, its mainly because your PC has been infested by Malware which infection causes by Bundpill worm that spreading throug thumbdrive. Download eset Antivirus, install and do the full system scanning.

ESET NOD32 Antivirus

Hope this help.

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Your computer is infected with that case, shortcut is totally a common but full of headache if you didn't turn off autorun.

List of some tools you may want to have and perform scan:

Rkill *

*Note: Perform this first to kill any malicious contents run through your computer, since shortcut is running for background then it should terminate to avoid any transmission to other storage devices.

A) Hitman Pro
B) Emsisoft Emergency Kit

Clean any possible remnants of this LNK.

USBFix should fix any hidden files and folders already, just turn off your internet connection to continue the scan operation.

Reactions: ayan4u
Upvote 0

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Also, if you don't use programs within removable media, then disable the execution of programs in removable media. It will not permit almost any malware from executing via removable media:

Local Computer Policy --> Administrative Templates --> System --> Removable Storage Access --> Enable the "Deny execute access" to the removable storage classes you want.

Also, deny autorun.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.