Advice Request People logging into my accounts despite 2FA being enabled.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
But if you use a server not in Your country, the service (in this case Google) may think You were attacked...

When checking emails (I use Pop Peeper for a fast preview checking), I had to add a tunneling exception in my VPNs apps, for the same reason...
Indeed, this is frequently the case.
Upon trying to log-in, services will gather information such as IP addresses, browser and device information and others. Because VPN changes your location frequently, services can become paranoid.

In addition, these emails do not mean log-in was successful. It may be someone attempting to log-in with old leaked credentials or they may have failed on the 2FA step. Email will still be sent.

I would advise @Xeno1234 to check for activity.
For example on Discord, has someone been messaged?
On Bitdefender portal, have any settings been modified? There should be full audit logs somewhere on Bitdefender portal where all activity can be inspected.

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
Indeed, this is frequently the case.
Upon trying to log-in, services will gather information such as IP addresses, browser and device information and others. Because VPN changes your location frequently, services can become paranoid.

In addition, these emails do not mean log-in was successful. It may be someone attempting to log-in with old leaked credentials or they may have failed on the 2FA step. Email will still be sent.

I would advise @Xeno1234 to check for activity.
For example on Discord, has someone been messaged?
On Bitdefender portal, have any settings been modified? There should be full audit logs somewhere on Bitdefender portal where all activity can be inspected.
In terms of account activity, I do not see anything.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
In terms of account activity, I do not see anything.
So you have no reason to be worried at all. Furthermore, attackers are unlikely to be interested in anything else other than cryptocurrency, information they can sell left and right (credentials) and payment information (although with 3D secure this is becoming less and less valuable as well). They may only be interested in Discord account if they intend on spamming and infecting more people. In your case, this hasn’t happened.

You are all good.

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
So you have no reason to be worried at all. Furthermore, attackers are unlikely to be interested in anything else other than cryptocurrency, information they can sell left and right (credentials) and payment information (although with 3D secure this is becoming less and less valuable as well). They may only be interested in Discord account if they intend on spamming and infecting more people. In your case, this hasn’t happened.

You are all good.
Thank you all so much. I wonder what made my logins say Denver, but if I was actively being hacked I think they would try to login again after February 13th.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
@harlan4096 thank you for opening up this thread again, as this information regarding my question, is very helpful and useful for me...daily, in that all of the above replies make sense to my less-than-IT proficient understanding :)
In many cases VPNs, even when you run them with the same location, will change IP addresses. This may cause alarms as well as they can see new IP address (depends from service to service). It is just one thing that has to be dealt with if you wanna be behind VPN. Security requires you to sacrifice convinience.
Thank you all so much. I wonder what made my logins say Denver, but if I was actively being hacked I think they would try to login again after February 13th.
It is saying Denver because activity was detected from there. Attackers will frequently utilise victim machines to attempt to brute force credentials and perform other nasties. This specific victim was in Denver and they are unaware what’s going on when they use their device.

Regardless, you’ve got nothing to worry about.

Victor M

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
I wonder what made my logins say Denver
That depends on where the VPN service has their servers located. You connect to a VPN, the VPN sends all your traffic to their server, and then the traffic leaves that server and reach towards your desired web site like gmail.com. What gmail sees is that you connected from that source - server, which happens to be located in Denver.

Last edited:

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Just for reference, here is my Outlook sign in activity (passwords have leaked before).
Nothing to worry about though.
IMG_2994.jpeg

IMG_2995.jpeg

IMG_2996.jpeg

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
In many cases VPNs, even when you run them with the same location, will change IP addresses. This may cause alarms as well as they can see new IP address (depends from service to service). It is just one thing that has to be dealt with if you wanna be behind VPN. Security requires you to sacrifice convinience.

It is saying Denver because activity was detected from there. Attackers will frequently utilise victim machines to attempt to brute force credentials and perform other nasties. This specific victim was in Denver and they are unaware what’s going on when they use their device.

Regardless, you’ve got nothing to worry about.
Ok. I do remember I checked the accepted the verification emails from Denver, so it might have been a VPN I had or something, I don’t know.

I’ll just leave it at that. Thank you guys so much for the help, I can’t explain how worried and paranoid about this I’ve been.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Ok. I do remember I checked the accepted the verification emails from Denver, so it might have been a VPN I had or something, I don’t know.

I’ll just leave it at that. Thank you guys so much for the help, I can’t explain how worried and paranoid about this I’ve been.
If you have any issues like these, feel free to drop me a PM in the future, or you can contact anyone from staff directly, all staff here is very knowledgeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.