Advice Request Performance Issues when not "Perform recommended actions automatically"

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

dillius

Thread author
Feb 18, 2021
I recently switched over to Kaspersky Internet Security after being dissatisfied with the behavior of ESET and my license expiring.

I like to be interactive with my security software and clear each process on my machine to run or not, and get notified about them.

I have been reading through a number of threads about optimal settings, and have tried a few combinations, but trying to make this thing interactive has been a huge problem. If I uncheck the General -> Operating Mode -> Perform recommended actions automatically setting after a few minutes I will stop receiving prompts but eventually my entire machine will be locked up. I can't ctrl alt delete, I can't close any programs, I can't interact with Kaspersky even if the control panel is already open. I have to kill the power to my machine, restart it, and very quickly get into the Kaspersky configuration to resume the automatic action setting.

Has anyone seen this before? Should I just take this to Kaspersky themselves?

dillius

Thread author
Feb 18, 2021
Run a Settings -> Manage Settings -> Restore...

Did this, then did nothing but turn off Gaming Mode and "Perform recommended actions automatically". Still freezing constantly.

This is an only about 9 month old laptop, maybe Kaspersky just won't work with other software I have.

Did this, then did nothing but turn off Gaming Mode and "Perform recommended actions automatically". Still freezing constantly.

This is an only about 9 month old laptop, maybe Kaspersky just won't work with other software I have.
Repeating this cycle a couple of times and now, the only thing that crashes is Kaspersky itself, rather than my entire system locking up. I do however have to hard kill the computer in order to get Kaspersky to open again.

Reactions: Venustus

dillius

Thread author
Feb 18, 2021
I just recently uninstalled ESET... I don't have any other security software at all.

I have some backup applications like BackBlaze, a VPN service (I uninstalled Kaspersky's), maybe it doesn't play nicely with this Killer Networking garbage... not really sure. I use Docker, but I turned off Kaspersky trying to use virtualization...

When I've been able to catch it in Task Manager it looks like some CPU is in use by Kaspersky itself and some windows service host instance... both float using about 12-15% CPU, trivial amounts of RAM and little disk or network usage. I'll try to actually catch it again when I have time to let my computer break and restart.

Last edited:

dillius

Thread author
Feb 18, 2021
ESET usually leaves some drivers behind. Kaspersky may have this kind of behavior after an ESET uninstall. Try running the ESET cleaner and make surre to follow the instructions as it may break your network driver.
I did attempt to do that; ESET has an "AV Remover" but it didn't detect ESET Internet Security as a valid product. I have tried to rerun it after the uninstall and it didn't find anything either.

Is there a 3rd party that provides cleanup tools I should try?

EDIT: I found the "ESET Uninstaller" and went into safe mode and ran it. It found "leftover data" or something and cleaned it up, will see if that helps any.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.