AV-Comparatives Performance Test October 2019

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Take anyone saying an AV is light or heavy with some suspicion, of course this is dependent on ram, software configurations etc. And I just betcha that a lot of posters who say an AV is heavy already have a predisposition and would say the AV is heavy based on their dislike or other chatter that they have read somewhere.

You are right.
For me it was worth replacing WD with Eset..
Since I installed Nod32 Antivirus I haven't even heard the fan of my laptop.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Like someone said above, there is pretty big difference between installing and running all this security packages on modern hardware (SSD, at least 2 modern cores with hyperthreading and at least 4GB of DDR4 RAM).

Friend of mine gave me his new desktop i5 9600k, 8GB of RAM, WD Black Nvme SSD, so I played with some security software during this weekend. (Actually he wanted me to install him some software he needs and to secure it).

Long story short, any software will run smooth on that hardware with no noticeable performance defect when you change from one to another. You can only see app launch time difference and scan/emulation when downloading totally new software. Any other criteria is negligible as you can notice difference only if you search for one.

Then, install any modern AV on my old laptop (Celeron dual core 1.8 ghz, 2GB DDR2 RAM, Sata 2 SSD) and you can see ups and downs in performance.

virusesmaximum

Level 1
Aug 21, 2019
Bitdefender better than kaspersky
There are many ransomware that Kaspersky could not detect ex. files .toes
and other
With all due respect, bitdefender is more publicity than protection, I don't trust av-comparatives to choose an Antivirus.
Bitdefender is no better than Kaspersky, it is with seeing the results in this forum to realize. Correct me if I am in error.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Performance tests are useless and just marketing stuff, everyone computer is different and the same AV can have different results on 2 different computers owned by the same user.
If you want to know, select 3 Avs you think are the best for you, try each one of them for at least 2 weeks then you will get the real scenario.
if not, keep being a noob by letting others tell you what to use.

elquenunca

Level 3
Verified
Dec 23, 2017
totally agree with you Umbra that's why I use eset and bitdefender, although in this forum bitdefender does not have many sympathies

Antus67

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Nov 3, 2019
Performance tests are useless and just marketing stuff, everyone computer is different and the same AV can have different results on 2 different computers owned by the same user.
If you want to know, select 3 Avs you think are the best for you, try each one of them for at least 2 weeks then you will get the real scenario.
I have to agree with you 100 per cent marketing is the name of the game and the dollar is their objective.

[correlate]

Level 18
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
1577113941043.png

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Agreed.

The best is when YouTubers start doing their own performance tests (in a VM) and run a simple benchmark and go, hey this one performs better than the other. Really??? You are running a performance test in a VM and expect to get anything reliable. Furthermore if you re-run that benchmarking tool, you'll get a different score 5 seconds later.

Aside from performance tests, this can also be extrapolated to your typical a vs b thread asking which product is better. At the end of the day, no product is perfect and every product will miss something at some point. As to performance, every system will be different and everyone's experience will be different. It's why I dislike a vs b threads, it becomes a popularity contest, rather than being helpful. It's further compounded when there's a poll and the vast majority of people answer the poll, rather than posting a thoughtful reply in the thread.

Everyone's experiences are different. What works for one person, doesn't mean it will work and perform the same for another. Similarly, what one dislikes, doesn't mean everyone must dislike it. It's why people just need to TRY the programs for yourself and go from there. If you're looking for a product that will protect you 100% of the time, I hate to burst your bubble, but it doesn't exist. Stop relying on your security program to do the thinking for you. Start practicing safe computing habits and let go of the typical fear and paranoia that is generated from security company marketing, as well as general security form paranoia.

Your habits are just as, if not more important than the security program. So as long as you practice safe habits, choose which ever program works best for you, meets your needs and performs the best for you on YOUR system.:)(y)

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

@Raiden exactly, but those a vs b threads are the bread and butter of the beginners, they don't know more unless they start digging and testing by themselves, which is a step many won't take.

As we said, there is nothing more concrete than trialing software by ourselves for few weeks.

Agreed!

I wholeheartedly agree that for beginners a vs b threads can be a good starting point. I should have clarified what I meant when I said I dislike a vs b threads. I honestly don't mind them, but I have an issue with their current format.

For me, I feel that polls should be removed, as they aren't all that helpful in that situation IMHO, as many more people just vote rather than comment. I understand that not everyone is comfortable posting in those situations and that's totally cool, but IMHO the polls make it more of a popularity contest, rather than it being helpful advice. That's what those threads are about, providing thoughtful advice. If we let people think that they need to get the one that gets the most votes then there's the potential that we may be setting them up to fail, especially if they spend money on it and don't like it down the road. Furthermore, I also think that comments like "x product hands down" and any other comment that is less then 1 sentence should be automatically removed, as again, those comments don't provide helpful advice.

I am also of the mindset that we need to start asking people what they are looking for in a product, as well as what do they expect it to do. For example, if they say that they want a product that gives them 100% protection, well then we all know that that doesn't exist. Which should then turn the discussion explaining that and educating them on safe computing habits, as their goal of 100% protection is not a reasonable one, especially if they want to continue to practice unsafe habits. This I feel will make it more personal in a good way, as it may educate them on some things, but it may help us narrow down which products to recommend that they TRY out and see what the like. Everyone's needs are different and I think this is something that needs to be included in these discussions,

I know some people like polls to see what people are using, but I honestly think that we can just remove polls from the comparison sections only. If someone wants to have a poll to see what others like and are using, they can still create a thread in the general section with a poll to have that fun conversation. I just feel that the comparison sections should be about providing helpful ADVICE, anything other than providing thoughtful advice is taking away of what those sections were indented for IMHO.

Anyways, enough of my off topic ranting.:p:emoji_beer:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
So, the results are for the banking malware in the wild. The test also includes Botnet and Simulator tests.
The Botnet test was performed on Windows 7 and Simulator test on Windows 10 Pro with Chrome web browser or the AV safe browser (if AV has got any). Only Norton LifeLock Norton Security, KIS with SafeMoney, and Avast Premium Security with Secure Browser did pass both tests.

[correlate]

Level 18
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
So, the results are for the banking malware in the wild. The test also includes Botnet and Simulator tests.
The Botnet test was performed on Windows 7 and Simulator test on Windows 10 Pro with Chrome web browser or the AV safe browser (if AV has got any). Only Norton LifeLock Norton Security, KIS with SafeMoney, and Avast Premium Security with Secure Browser did pass both tests.

Yes
The test is carried out in two stages. The first stage of the Level 1 test (detailed report .PDF) takes place without the participation of the developers. The second stage of Level 2 (results not published) provides an opportunity for developers to solve problems found during testing in order to increase the effectiveness of their products for end users.

RKRN3

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 6, 2019
Avast was going great in every direction except in regards to privacy (should have collected threat analysis data only) in 2019-2020.

[correlate]

Level 18
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
Here Are the Best Helpers After a Malware Attack
The protection packages in the test
  • Avast Free Antivirus
  • AVG Internet Security
  • Avira Antivirus Pro
  • Bitdefender Internet Security
  • Kaspersky Internet Security
  • Microsoft Defender
  • NortonLifeLock Norton Security
The 4 special tools tested
  • G Data Boot Medium
  • Heise Desinfec't 2019
  • Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool
  • Vipre Security Virus Removal Tool
1580884863831.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.