Guide | How To Permanently Disable Chrome PDF Viewer (2018 Update)

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
UPDATED VERSION: Prefer your 3rd-Party app? Open PDF files outside of Chrome.

How to Disable Chrome PDF Viewer

Open Chrome > Settings > Advanced > Site Settings > PDF documents
  • chrome://settings/content/pdfDocuments
  • Enabled ticker to Download PDF Files
upload_2018-3-4_20-43-50.png

Stop Chrome from opening your PDF files?
Unless you have permanently disabled it (scolldown), Google Chrome will continue to open PDF files** with the following settings:
  • chrome://plugins > Chrome PDF Viewer (disabled)***
  • chrome://plugins > Chrome PDF Viewer (enabled)
Try New Method

Open the Advanced Settings and found under Privacy (Content Settings) users can now manage how PDF documents are opened.
  • Enter URL chrome://settings/content
  • Scroll down to PDF Documents > Enable "Open PDF files in the default PDF viewer application"
  • Finished to save changes
I believe this is Google's correct way for Chrome users to disable built-in PDF viewer, and to confirm, Chrome PDF Viewer will be disabled by Enterprise Policy (greyed out) under Chrome Plugins.

ContentPDFChrome.png

________________________________________________________________________________________​

Notes:
  1. No third-party PDF software installed on Windows 10 Home 64-bit with Google Chrome stable v56.0.2XXX 64-bit.
  2. ** Enabled Edge as default PDF viewer for educational purposes to confirm method works.
  3. *** Cannot comment on the results if your use PDF software has installed a plug-in Chrome.
  4. * Discovered by accident and could not find anything on the web about it.

Last edited:

ozone

Level 3
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
Last edited:
Reactions: Wave, Ink and SHvFl

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Thank you for sharing :)
May I ask you why open a pdf in the browser may be dangerous ? Instead of downloading and opening it ?

It could launch a malicious code only by opening it in the browser ?

Thank you

Thank you for sharing :)
May I ask you why open a pdf in the browser may be dangerous ? Instead of downloading and opening it ?

It could launch a malicious code only by opening it in the browser ?

Thank you

Both PDF editor\viewers and browsers are susceptible to exploits. The exploit would be program-specific. So, for example, an exploit for Adobe Reader isn't going to work in Edge.

The most targeted PDF software is Adobe products. All the others much, much less so.

Adding a PDF editor or viewer isn't necessary any longer - except when you need the additional features. For simple PDF viewing - you can open the PDFs in AppContainer - which adds another protection layer.

I use Edge - which runs in AppContainer - to view PDFs. Alternatively, you can set Chrome to run in AppContainer. I've also tested all the freeware PDF editor\viewers - and all are OK. Of these, I personally like SumatraPDF. I have it installed.

Security is important, but where PDFs are concerned, for me it all comes down to loading speed, smooth scrolling, a search that works well, the ability to copy-paste text and images, etc. Simple features to meet basic needs.

You'd be surprised how keeping things simple actually goes a long way to protecting a system and keeping you safe.

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Thank you ,but so if you don't want to open the pdf in the browser , you download it and open it in the PC ? What does it change if you open it in the PC instead of opening it in the browser?

Reactions: shmu26 and SHvFl

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Thank you ,but so if you don't want to open the pdf in the browser , you download it and open it in the PC ? What does it change if you open it in the PC instead of opening it in the browser?
Personally i prefer to read things on my own pdf reader(sumatra). It's not for security or anything if that's what you implying.
My browser and pdf reader and almost equally secure.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.