App Review Petya MBR Encryption Ransomware Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Try that with an Anti-Virus rofl.
Should have tried to boot it anyway MalwareBytes states in their Beta page that the ransom screen is often left behind but the files are indeed intact, and that they are working on it. Try MBARW when it's out of Beta please, I would love to see a completed MBARW against this and locky
Awesome Vid Cruelsis. PeAcE

Last edited:

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
WAR is a solid product, scotty does a good job, sadly it was on sale a few weeks backs at BDJ, not anymore. Thanks for bringing us these awesome tests cruelsister, amazing as always !
There still seems to be some discount offered :)

Attachments

• 2016-03-26.png
    2016-03-26.png
    562 KB · Views: 468

Philly

Mar 26, 2016
WAR is a solid product, scotty does a good job, sadly it was on sale a few weeks backs at BDJ, not anymore. Thanks for bringing us these awesome tests cruelsister, amazing as always !
Wow... It's in a whole new level! Great video as always... really wish WinAntiransom to be on sale!

You can get 50% off with the coupon code: bobsfriends

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Petrovic- I may move it up to my next video in a week or two. I did some preliminary work on it after your post and it seems like an excellent candidate. But one thing- as the AV Cloud can be shut off I would do so for 2 reasons: to keep the playing filed level (the other products in this series didn't have AV's), and the fact that I despise traditional AV products. I may even write some malware for the test.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
P- it seemed to me that the Cloud was there for a bit more than statistics. They state when a file is run it will also be compared "with the reputation information stored in the Dr.Web cloud which is constantly being updated. Dr.Web Katana subsequently uses that information to determine whether a program is dangerous and then takes whatever measures are necessary to neutralise the threat."

M

Fabian Wosar

From Emsisoft
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
Dr Web blocks it just fine using default settings (which is to block direct disk access for all processes) both in Katana as well as their normal AV/IS product. The malware will just sit there and consume excessive amounts of CPU because it just tries to infect the MBR over and over again. EAM blocks it as well for pretty much the same reason.

In general the threat already has kind of an expiration date. If you use any modern version of Windows (8, 8.1, 10) and if you are using UEFI/EFI to boot (which you really, really should), you are automatically protected from it, because the code in the MBR never gets to execute. The Windows binary itself doesn't do any actual encryption. It just prepares the malicious boot loader and writes it to disk. That's it. The actual encryption of the MFT is performed by the boot loader. I posted some technical information here:

KernelMode.info • View topic - Petya malware

Since the actual file data isn't touched by the malware at all and only the MFT is encrypted, all tools that allow you to restore files without the usage of the MFT will work just fine. You will probably lose directory names and structure, but if you shelve out the $80 for
GetDataBack for example or any other zero knowledge file recovery tool, you will get your files back just fine, with the exception of small files that may be stored within the MFT itself and may be encrypted.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.