Phishing email with package

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Today I was buying an item from an online store, but the operation timed out. So to avoid any unnecessary purchases I left it, in case it did get processed.

Went out for a few hours and got caught in traffic due to a light-aircraft crash causing a delay, in which I waited 90 minutes doing ~22mph.

Get back to check my email and notice an email in the Spam:

Code:
ACH transfer (ID:xxxxxxxxxx) is going to be reviewed because of the incorrectly input data 
when sending the payment. 

Important: 
Please, fill in the application form attached attentively and send it to us. 
After that your transfer will be processed. 

If you have any questions or comments, contact us at info@nacha.org. 
Thank you for using www.nacha.org 

Cathy McNickle 
NACHA Risk Management Services

At the bottom of the email is an attachment:

Code:
Name: form-62
Size: 13K

Google doesn't say what the file is, but it turns out to be .zip. Without extracting the contents, 7-Zip displays a form-62091.exe

I upload the .zip directly to VirusTotal:

http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=22c94cd6379c0bf453bf175b55337f7c397889a5e19174efd33f03f0941504b5-1314984993

Reported email as Phishing in Gmail.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
+1 to gmail for putting this email in the spam category.I've never received a email with a malicious attachment and like you I would most likely immediately know that is a dangerous download but with so many security newbies which lack common sense I can bet that this malware was run by some people in this world.
The malware threat is pretty new since it was detected by all the 10 vendors as a generic virus.
I can't understand how this guys manage to get your email if you were on a reputable online store.. :dodgy:

D

Deleted member 178

Jack said:
I can't understand how this guys manage to get your email if you were on a reputable online store.. :dodgy:

trust no one specialy employee of stores.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.