Phishing in 2019. Has it changed over the years?

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
General phishing will never fades out. Script kiddies love it. How to get user's password? Just ask, politely. In 50% cases, a user will give it to you.

but this thing develops into something more intricate like whaling.
Targeted hacking was always here, but it happens in the background, literally. Like this, millions of computers affected, but only 600 targeted.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Well everyday i open up twitter/ reddit i see someone complaining their gaming or some social media accounts have '' hacked'' just because they fall for phishing links/email scams

Gladly these days 2- factor authentication is a thing, but not so many people uses it

Recently in finnish news, people are falling for phone call scams, people asking to join their business and the call is coming from different country and the person on call is speaking different languange than us native languange is...and this is million dollar business, since some corporates are falling for such a obvious scam

For sure phishings/scams are easy money to milk off for someone

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Phishing is one of the most difficult things to detect from my point of view.

Anyone can fall into that trap. It is difficult for users and also for AVs.

Why?? why they make a phishing trap and sometimes they last only hours and the Avs do not have it in their signature databases:giggle:

Pictogrram

Thread author
Mar 18, 2019
Recently in finnish news, people are falling for phone call scams, people asking to join their business and the call is coming from different country and the person on call is speaking different languange than us native languange is...and this is million dollar business, since some corporates are falling for such a obvious scam

what an interesting case.
I know that some companies have requirements for employees - e.g. device update policies - obsolete devices are more prone to malware breakthrough. And if a person is working from home, it is more dangerous to lose some data. That is why they request to update the devices timely.

Anyone can fall into that trap. It is difficult for users and also for AVs.

Why?? why they make a phishing trap and sometimes they last only hours and the Avs do not have it in their signature databases:giggle:
Sounds like a horror movie for me :ROFLMAO:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
@Pictogrram

Police investigate bogus CEOs as listed companies lose millions to fraud

Finland's National Bureau of Investigation is looking into several cases involving major confidence fraud that has cost Finnish stock-listed companies millions of euros. Officials are investigating nearly 40 reported cases in which the scam artists have posed as company CEOs and persuaded finance employees to pay out sums of up to one million euros. The EU’s law enforcement body Europol told Yle that it has made its firsts arrests in Israel.

Well not phishing, but fake bills throught email etc.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Cause AVs are pretty much useless (unless it's an old link), so it's more dependent on the end user.

Phone banking is convenient but I consider it dangerous and just won't do it.
Why? I think the risks are same whether you use phone or pc.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
In phishing, attention is often drawn to mimicking technology, but the underlying thing is not the psychology of “people want to believe in information that is advantageous to them”? This is an area that can not be covered only by the category of AV.:unsure::unsure::unsure::coffee:

boutthatlife

Level 1
Verified
Mar 15, 2019
I think it's harder to detect now more than ever because "anyone" can be the whale these days not just "important" people.

Also, what is utterly frightening to me is the amount of surveillance people are under with this type of evil.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
It is harder now because clever scammers and hackers always come up with new tactics.

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Why? I think the risks are same whether you use phone or pc.
How do you set up any 2- factor authentication if you got only one device (phone)? Something like chip-tan-generator + pc or old stupid phone (no android or ios thing) +pc should beat a phone where you do all the banking on one device altogether. Lots of phone vendors are slow with applying the google security fixes and i would use that to manage my money? Not for me :D
Face and fingerprint unlock have been compromised on and on

Reactions: bribon77

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.