Please be careful of the legitimate giveaway sites you download from

Status
Not open for further replies.

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
Just a reminder that some of the direct links you come across may be hosted on a malicious site. I came across one today that was hosted on a malicious site and had been noticed by VirusTotal. Be careful out there.

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Just a reminder that some of the direct links you come across may be hosted on a malicious site. I came across one today that was hosted on a malicious site and had been noticed by VirusTotal. Be careful out there.

Could you PM me the site link

Usually I treat every giveaway site as a threat.You should always follow a few simple guidelines

• The safest giveaways are those that offer a license.Then the software can be downloaded from the official site and the license applied to activate the software
  • There are only a few companies that use a Key File for promos.Avast & Avira are 2 off the top of my head.LastPass uses a special link when giving away Premium versions
  • Whenever possible download software installers from the official software site or a known download site(MajorGeeks,Filehippo,etc)
  • If it is a special installer containing the license, you should always scan and verify it is clean.There are usually only a handful of companies that use special installers
  • Run it initially within a sandbox or VM and if possible extract the license and then download the installer from the official site and enter the license
  • The sites we do not recommend require that you make an account to get the giveaway.Then the licenses & installer come in a zip file.
  • Since these exe installers cannot be verified(they are from another giveaway site) you should only download them from the official site or a reputable download site
  • If a giveaway includes asking you to make an account with personal and banking information it is not worth getting.There are plenty of free alternatives that are just as good.
  • Obviously any containing cracks or files that manipulate the registry or the software should not be used.Those that offer installers from a file sharing link should also be avoided.

MT sponsored giveaways will always contain the link to the official download site or a link obtained from the software company.Sometimes under certain circumstances we will upload the installer and post a share link.These however are legitimate installers/key files and have all been verified as clean.These are our personal links and were uploaded by MT satff

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.