Please help, my Malwarebytes software is not functioning correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetta1223

Thread author
Verified
Dec 22, 2013
Hi MalwareTips Staff,

Please help. I am having some problems with the Malwarebytes software. I get strange messages when I update the software, and the protection tab keeps unchecking the boxes by themselves. I have tried all the main Anti-Malware/Anti-Adware tools that MalwareTips recommends, TDSS Killer, RKill, Rogue Killer, ADW Cleaner, MalwareBytes scan, SuperAnti-Spyware Scan, HitmanPro scan,EmsisoftScan,Junkware Removal Tool, but still the problem persists.

I even contacted Malwarebytes tech support to help me regarding this, and have followed their instructions, but the problem still persists (please read the email correspondence below).

Here is the conversation I had with Malwarebytes. Perhaps you guys at MalwareTips be able to help me?

Many thanks in advance :)

Version: 1.75

Operating System: Windows 7 - 64 bit

-------------_______________________________________________________

Hi,

I have problems after I download the Malwarebytes software and and then try to update. Under the Protection tab it normally would say "Protection Enabled" and I try to keep everything checked, but for some reason these boxes unchecks itself and says Protection Un-Enabled, and the box below that, "Show tooltop balloon when filesystem threat is blocked" always UNCHECKS itself. It won't allow me to manually check the box, the only way to check the box is when I uncheck another box and then it will check itself again automatically. But then after Updating, I notice that the problem comes back and the box is empty again (the box is unchecked). So I have to go through the procedure again, (manually uncheck another box so it will check again.)

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Malwarebytes several times. Tried Chameleon but that didn't work either. Please help. Thank you.
___________________________________________________________________________________
Hello,

The error indicates the installation has become corrupted. We shall perform a clean uninstall and reinstall of the program.

• Download and run "mbam-clean.exe" from here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-clean.exe

• It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so (this is very important)

Then reinstall the latest version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware via the link below

http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam

Your Malwarebytes license key(s) is below.

Thank you.

Hi,

I've uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled as per your instructions. After I installed it a message said the database was outdated for 247 days! But then it was able to update properly. So far no issues.

I am able to use the MalwareBytes program and update the software, but I agaom noticed after an update that the checkbox was "unchecked" again! I'm not sure what causes this but I wanted to let you know.

Hello,

In the future you may download the latest installer for Malwarebytes from our website at the link below. It will install as the free version, however it will show as Pro as soon as you activate it with the License information.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

The issue you reported indicates that we need more information about your computer configuration so we can troubleshoot the problem you reported.

**First, to help determine the cause of the problem, please download and run our check tool from our website at this link:

http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_check

This tool will inspect the installation of Malwarebytes and create a report I need to see: CheckResults.txt.

Please attach that report to your next reply.

**Next, please follow these instructions to collect one full scan log and five protection logs:

Start the Malwarebytes application.

Please run a Malwarebytes quick scan.

Click on the Logs tab

Locate in the the full scan log that was just created: the filename will be similar to this: mbam-log-2013-08-08 (11-11-11).txt (the numbers in parentheses will be hour-minutes-seconds as the time stamp)

Double-click on that file and it will open in Notepad.

Click the File menu in Notepad and "Save As" the same filename but directly on your desktop.

Next, please locate the most current protection log which is identified by this filename: protection-log-2013-08-08.txt

Double-click on that file and it will open in Notepad.

Click the File menu in Notepad and "Save As" the same filename but directly on your desktop.

Please repeat that process for the previous four protection logs.

**In order to further troubleshoot this issue, lets collect information off the system to see if we can spot any issues. DDS will provide me a list of programs installed and system drivers, to check for any conflicts and as well threats in the system.

Step 1- Please download DDS from the link below and save it to your desktop:

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/dds.com

Step 2- Double click dds.com to run the tool.

Step 3- It will run and produce two logs for you, DDS.txt and Attach.txt

These files will be located in the same location from where you ran the DDS tool.

Then

Please download AdwCleaner onto your Desktop from this link http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/ and save it to your desktop.

Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.

Click on Scan.

A logfile will automatically open after the scan has finished. Please attach that log in your reply.

You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[Rn].txt ('n' is the scan order number).

Please attach the following files with your next reply:

CheckResults.txt

Malwarebytes quick scan log

Malwarebytes protection logs (the last five protection logs will be helpful to us)

DDS.txt

Attach.txt

AdwCleaner[Rn].txt

Hi,

Here are the files you requested.

Thank you!

Hello ,

Lets try the steps below in the Safe mode in with Networking

How to boot into Safe Mode in Windows

Restart the computer.Taping the F8 key repeatedly. The Windows Advanced Options menu appears. Then select Safe mode with Networking

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit (MBAR) from here http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/mbar/ and save it to your desktop. Direct link to the file:

http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbar

•Be sure to print out and follow the instructions provided on that same page.

•Caution: This is a beta version so please be sure to read the disclaimer and back up any important data before using.

•Doubleclick on the MBAR file you downloaded and approve the UAC prompt in Vista and newer operating systems.

•Click OK on the next screen, to allow the package to extract the contents of the file to its own folder, mbar.

•mbar.exe will launch automatically. On some systems, this may take a few extra seconds. Please be patient and wait for the program to open.

•After reading the Introduction, click 'Next' if you agree.

•On the Update Database screen, click on the 'Update' button.

•Once you see 'Success: Database was successfully updated' click on 'Next'.

•Click the 'Scan' button.

With some infections, you may see two messages boxes.

1.'Could not load protection driver'. Click 'OK'.

2.'Could not load DDA driver'. Click 'Yes' to this message, to allow the driver to load after a restart. Allow the computer to restart. Continue with the rest of these instructions.

•If malware is found, do NOT press the Cleanup button when the scan completes. Click EXIT.

Then, please send the following logs as attachments to your reply. These logs are located in the mbar folder on your desktop where the tool extracted itself to.

mbar-log-2013-xx-xx(xx-xx-xx).txt (where xx-xx(xx-xx-xx) is the date and time of the scan)

system-log.txt

Please let me know you have had success with the steps above.

Best Regards,
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi,

My internet will not connect with safe mode with my fast broadband connection. I can try a mobile usb connection which is slower speed but I think those mobile connections are also more vulnerable to hackers, is that true? If it's OK, I can use safe mode. But if not, is it OK to follow the following instructions in the normal mode with my fast broadband internet connection?
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello,

Yes please try to run this tool and perform the steps in normal mode. The reason that I first suggested to run it in Safe Mode to prevent the infection from running before the Mbar tool is run. However please try it in normal mode and let me know how it goes.

Hi,

OK. Here is the log. It said everything was OK. But problem still persists.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.