New Update PopUpOff - Prevents Popups, Overlays and Cookie Notifications

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
I really like it, dumped firefox as news reader, using it in dormant mode in Edge (aggressive on news websites) and in Edge Application Guard in moderate (gentle) mode.

RomanistHere

Level 1
Mar 15, 2021
I really like it, dumped firefox as news reader, using it in dormant mode in Edge (aggressive on news websites) and in Edge Application Guard in moderate (gentle) mode.
Glad to hear, I can only suggest using Brave instead of Edge. It made by independent guys, doesn't spy, and has tremendous ability to block trackers: Two tools to save your time

Some points from the research I did on different analytics and browsers: Plausible vs GA vs Matomo. Part I.

RomanistHere

Level 1
Mar 15, 2021
AFAIK blocking cookie notices means that all cookies are accepted. Wouldn't it be wise to build in the features from Cookie Auto Delete?
I was thinking about it. But there are things like adblocker or brave, they are supported and developed by the big teams of all sort of guys, analysts, developers, etc working full-time. It's unreal to compete with them for me alone with not much support and in my spare time.

So for now I suggest you use sandbox, duckduckgo privacy essentials, brave or something else for scripts and PopUpOFF for popups and overlays :)

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
No Vivaldi or Brave for me. The business model of Brave (like Vivaldi) is to substitute third-party ads with their ads. They are only offering a free ride (opt-out of Brave/Vivaldi adsystem) because they need their user base to grow. It is like the maffia offering protection, without needing to pay them. It is just to good to be true.

Also the security of Edge is better than other Chromium based browsers (auto de-elevation and build-in exploit guard protections) . Microsoft is on average only one or two days behind Google for new releases. All other Chromium based browsers lag at least one or two weeks behing Google (some more like Opera and Yandex).

With new announced architecture they probably will achive next day update for sure (maybe even same day).

As a bonus I use application guard sandboxed Edge which beats any other browser in security.

With startup boost Edge is also the fastest loading browser on Windows.

These advantages are enough for me to stick with Edge.

RomanistHere

Level 1
Mar 15, 2021
No Vivaldi or Brave for me. The business model of Brave (like Vivaldi) is to substitute third-party ads with their ads. They are only offering a free ride (opt-out of Brave/Vivaldi adsystem) because they need their user base to grow. It is like the maffia offering protection, without needing to pay them. It is just to good to be true.

Also the security of Edge is better than other Chromium based browsers (auto de-elevation and build-in exploit guard protections) . Microsoft is on average only one or two days behind Google for new releases. All other Chromium based browsers lag at least one or two weeks behing Google (some more like Opera and Yandex).

With new announced architecture they probably will achive next day update for sure (maybe even same day).

As a bonus I use application guard sandboxed Edge which beats any other browser in security.

With startup boost Edge is also the fastest loading browser on Windows.

These advantages are enough for me to stick with Edge.
That sounds nice. After all, the goal for everyone of us is to be satisfied with what he does or uses. I see you found your way :)

RomanistHere

Level 1
Mar 15, 2021
I wanted to thank all of you guys for your warm words about my little app. I'd be pleased to hear more from you now or in the future.

From my side, I'll try to influence this world, make it a bit better. Leaving comments, reviews, spreading the news could help a bit, but what more important for me is your being happy and feeling great! I hope you'll hear more from me on this topic in the future!

MarkALink - check it out if you have time :)

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
Lenny_Fox said:

That's why I like Google and Microsoft much more. ;):D

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@RomanistHere REQUEST 1

Benefits of being on this forum is getting more user feedback on your program. I have had at least three times when moderate mode with gentle blocking did not do the trick and aggressive mode removed to much. Trying smart moderate with strict blocking turned out the best choice for me.

Moderate gentle blocking and Moderate strict blocking are variances in functionality like passive mode (off) and aggressive mode. I don't know whether you are familiar with data normalization to remove data redundancy, but using normalization as grouping criteria for the user interace it would be more logical to change the pop-up mode from three to four options (passive - gentle - strict - aggresive).

Having four oprating modes makes more sense since it represents the sliding (increasing) scale of popup removal. The only reason to move a (sub-mode) to a harder to reach options screen is when a user would only had to change this option once (at setup/configuration).

So either gentle moderate mode does not work as well as you image it to work (then leave strict mode hidden in the setup options) or make the choice (gentle-strict) easier to reach when people use it more ofthen than you thought when designimg the GUI (like me)

For me it is less hassle to use strict mode now and set PopupOff in passive mode (off) for the least annoying websites

1615974461574.png

@Jan Willy and @SecurityNightmares
With PopupOff and some 30 (pffew) tracking domains in my Next-DNS personal blocklist (which Kees1958 most prevalent EU-US list blocked but Edge in strict mode not), I am now trailing Next-DNS (with oisd.nl blocklist) and with Edge anti-tracking (on strict), because PopupOff removes the cookie pop-up annoyances from Google services in stead of using uB0 to remove these annoying cookie confirmation popups on Google search, maps and youtube.

@RomanistHere REQUEST2
Could you block the "change to Chrome browser pop-up" also (when remembering correct block the frame ogs.google.*/widget/callout where * is wildcard so google.nl and google.fr and google.de etc are also blocked)
1615974187439.png

Last edited:

RomanistHere

Level 1
Mar 15, 2021
Moderate gentle blocking and Moderate strict blocking are variances in functionality like passive mode (off) and aggressive mode. I don't know whether you are familiar with data normalization to remove data redundancy, but using normalization as grouping criteria for the user interace it would be more logical to change the pop-up mode from three to four options (passive - gentle - strict - aggresive).
I'm already working on it. Thy way it's done now is more for testing purposes. I called the strict moderate mode "Incognito" :)

I'll check the switch-to-chrome popup, could you send a direct link to the page it's showing on?

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
I'm already working on it. Thy way it's done now is more for testing purposes. I called the strict moderate mode "Incognito" :)
Thanks, just a word of caution. When you use terms which have an association with it in a related field of application (incognito mode of the browser) you are creating user confusion when your incognito mode does something different.

People don'rt read manuals, so when your incognito does something else people might think the software is not working and give you bad reviews. Better stick to your first thoughts (agressive, strict, gentle, passive) IMO

RomanistHere

Level 1
Mar 15, 2021
Thanks, just a word of caution. When you use terms which have an association with it in a related field of application (incognito mode of the browser) you are creating user confusion when your incognito mode does something different.

People don'rt read manuals, so when your incognito does something else people might think the software is not working and give you bad reviews. Better stick to your first thoughts (agressive, strict, gentle, passive) IMO
That's a good point, thank you :)

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
That's a good point, thank you :)
I switched from webdesign & development bachelor to digital marketing, because i was better in the creative part. So have a basic understanding of UX and UI. Designing a nice user interface was never my problem, but programming it and getting all bugs fixed. :)

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
Whenever I surf to Wilders, I get a popup. With I don't care about cookies I get nothing. With PopUpOff, moderate, I see briefly the banner then it disappears. It's the same pattern for every page I open on this site.
Capture.PNG

Last edited:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Doesn't seem to work on Bloomberg for cookies displays: Screenshot

Updated edit: only works when set into aggressive mode, the cookie notice was displayed and went after, seems to be doing a good job. Working well.

~LDogg

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Doesn't seem to work on Bloomberg for cookies displays: Screenshot

Updated edit: only works when set into aggressive mode, the cookie notice was displayed and went after, seems to be doing a good job. Working well.

~LDogg
From your screenshot I'm not seeing any cookie notification display

1616162892784.png

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Sorry to go off topic and maybe I'll test this later. @HarborFront what is your current extensions for your web browser?

Also can this be used on Firefox?

~LDogg
Cookie Notification - Works in Moderate Mode.

1616163301561.png

1616163351539.png

Overlay - Don't seem to work in ALL Modes if I scroll up/down several times for the below site. No issue with overlay removed in my Ungoogled Chromium browser in Moderate Mode

1616164434124.png

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.