Advice Request Port forwarding and VPN security

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

blacksheep

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 8, 2020
From time to time I see what some VPN's don't allow any port forwarding. Usually the answer is "For security reasons port forwarding is disabled".
Can someone explain what could be the risks for a VPN provider to enable port forwarding? Why they disable it?

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
If a VPN client doesn't have a NAT firewall built-in then there's no need for them to offer port forwarding as inbound connections won't be blocked.
As for VPN providers that do offer port forwarding, there's one vulnerability that I'm aware of that can affect them:
While the vulnerability is easy for VPN providers to mitigate, there's no way to verify whether they've done so or not.

Dave Woski

Level 1
Mar 19, 2020
From time to time I see what some VPN's don't allow any port forwarding. Usually the answer is "For security reasons port forwarding is disabled".
Can someone explain what could be the risks for a VPN provider to enable port forwarding? Why they disable it?
From what I have read (partially correct) that not all ports are secure so most of the VPNs have blocked the ports. Might be the reason.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.