Portable Firemin improve Firefox memory usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
5,872
.
Portable Firemin improve Firefox memory usage for all Firefox fans ..

Download link here: on datum-forensics.com : http://www.rizonesoft.com/freeware/firemin.html


'Description:
One of the biggest “improvements” that Mozilla claims is improved memory usage, in particular, the vanquishing of memory leaks. If you thought it was too good to be true you were right. Firefox still uses a lot of memory – way too much memory for a web browser.

We like keeping our apps running for a few days (that’s just the way we roll) and because of this Firefox was using over ~800MB of memory after about 3 days. It’s quite normal for Firefox to be sucking up ~100MB of memory right off the bat (in a memory leak you’ll see the memory usage keep increasing the longer the browser is open/in-use).

Rather than complaining about it, we decided to fix it. Enter Firemin; simply put; it will eliminate all memory leaks in Firefox. All we did was tweaked our memory optimization engine a little and applied it to Firefox (including Firefox extensions) and all the memory leaks was gone. To use Firemin; you will need to unzip Portable-Firemin.zip, double click on Firemin.exe and let Firemin babysit Firefox. You expected it to be more complicated, we are truly sorry to disappoint you.'

........................................

NEWS: ... Welcome to Datum:

Rizonesoft merged with Datum, South Africa. Datum will continue to develop all freeware acquired from Rizonesoft and will even bring back other discontinued stuff. We need to re-brand, update and optimize everything, so if you could please be patient while we finish these tasks. Everything should be available for download again by 19 May 2012, [...]
 

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
2,513
Very interesting, Before trying this, My Waterfox would peak around 500MB after a few hours use, After giving Firemin a go the highest it ever reaches now is 28MB. (15 tabs open)

A screenshot of the UI.

xzZNj.png


Waterfox at it's lowest.

DZgTY.png


There's no lag or any such performance drop when using it, Browser still functions just as fast as it did before trying it. I suggest others give it a go. :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: Terry Ganzi
D

Deleted member 178

I wonder why Firefox developers don't use this method to improve FF's memory usage...

Btw, anyone still use it? had some issues?

Umbra's Paranoid mode: it seems too beautiful and perfect to be real...
 
  • Like
Reactions: Terry Ganzi

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
21,342
Firefox has really gone to trash, doesn't really have much security like IE or Chromium, and you're worried about high RAM usage.
 
P

Plexx

Earth said:
Firefox has really gone to trash, doesn't really have much security like IE or Chromium, and you're worried about high RAM usage.

Earth does have a point. I suppose the only thing that keeps users going back to FF is the wide range of extensions.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Terry Ganzi

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
21,342
I didn't mean to bash Firefox, it's just that compared to the latest modern browsers, it's just not quite there yet.

What are they bringing in these new updates and version releases?

At least with Chrome, you can noticed improved malware download protection, Firefox still relies on your AV, if you have one installed. Even Torrent Clients are bundled with Malware Protection in one form or another.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Terry Ganzi

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
523
Are you saying Firefox has become the Apple of the computer world? People use it even though there are lots of better options but because it has so many apps.

Earth said:
I didn't mean to bash Firefox, it's just that compared to the latest modern browsers, it's just not quite there yet.

What are they bringing in these new updates and version releases?

At least with Chrome, you can noticed improved malware download protection, Firefox still relies on your AV, if you have one installed. Even Torrent Clients are bundled with Malware Protection in one form or another.
 

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
9,228
Thanks for this. Anything to help the performance of the computer. :)
 

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
1,698
pcjunklist said:
Are you saying Firefox has become the Apple of the computer world? People use it even though there are lots of better options but because it has so many apps.

"Better" is completely subjective. I've tried all of the other browsers out there and keep coming back to Firefox...

If there are lots of better options out there, why do I find that the others don't suit my needs? They should if they're "better".
 

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
21,342
No, I'm saying Firefox needs to pick up the pace and catch up with other modern browsers.

What's the latest version and how is it an improvement over v4 or 5?
 
P

Plexx

HeffeD said:
pcjunklist said:
Are you saying Firefox has become the Apple of the computer world? People use it even though there are lots of better options but because it has so many apps.

"Better" is completely subjective. I've tried all of the other browsers out there and keep coming back to Firefox...

If there are lots of better options out there, why do I find that the others don't suit my needs? They should if they're "better".

Wouldn't extensions be one of the reasons to go back? sure there are similar extensions for Chrome. I don't know that's why I am asking.

For my personal opinion, I haven't noticed much in latest few builds of FF (Stable) that would tell me it's better than chromium based browsers.

I guess in the end it boils down to personal preference.
 

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
1,698
Earth said:
What's the latest version and how is it an improvement over v4 or 5?

I honestly can't remember what versions 4 or 5 were like. Can you?

biozfear said:
Wouldn't extensions be one of the reasons to go back? sure there are similar extensions for Chrome. I don't know that's why I am asking.

The current API support for Chrome isn't quite there yet for some of the extensions that I consider a 'must have'. Specifically in the areas of cookie management, referrer control, download management, and cross-site requests.

biozfear said:
For my personal opinion, I haven't noticed much in latest few builds of FF (Stable) that would tell me it's better than chromium based browsers.

And conversely, I haven't noticed much in the latest builds of Chromium that would tell me it's "better" than Firefox. ;)

The functionality that I require in Firefox is not there in Chromium.

biozfear said:
I guess in the end it boils down to personal preference.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. It's pointless to say there are "better" alternatives to something like a web browser, when everyones concept of what makes a browser "better", are likely very different.

Case in point... One of the first web browsers out there, Lynx, is surprisingly still being developed. It's a text only browser that has been around since 1993! How could it possibly compete in this day and age? And yet, it's still alive and kicking...

It's wiser to say, "I prefer x browser". Not, "x browser is better". At least until the variable, "better", has been unequivocally determined. ;)
 
P

Plexx

I wouldn't be able to comment on extensions specially in that field since I do not use a browser for those purposes, however I do respect your point of view and do agree.

Lynx, good old Lynx, I remember using it back in the days. I also remember Crazybrowser and Neoplanet. If not mistaken Crazy was the first tabbed browser (don't quote me on that).
 

melen001

New Member
Verified
Aug 16, 2013
23
Sorry for the red color, i just can't see.... Installed Firemin a few hours ago and haven't noticed any change in FF browser speed. It's like always, fast on my PC. Memory is down a lot but Virtual memory up also. To early to say anything definitive so I'll be back in a few days. Don't see any down grade in performance....... seems to work like a charm for now......
 

melen001

New Member
Verified
Aug 16, 2013
23
Is there a way to change the black color on this page so I won't have to use the red letters ????
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

  • MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.

Top